Portable trolling motor position question

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
5oclocksomewhere
Participant
Participant

Portable trolling motor position question

Post by 5oclocksomewhere »

Hello,

I have a question, I just picked up a portable trolling motor for a trip this late spring.
We will be using the camps 14 foot PolarKraft 1470 boats that have a cut out for the engine.
Which side of the transom do I mount the portable trolling motor too? does it matter or is it whatever works better for the operator?
I have never used one always had a bow mount on my own boat.

thanks
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Portable trolling motor position question

Post by Fishoholic »

Doesn't matter, whatever side is more comfortable for the driver. i clamp mine at the back left and sometimes clamp it up front when casting weed lines etc.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Have to agree with Fishoholic,

Whatever is more comfortable. I have usually seen them on the port side of the stern since most of the people I have seen them with sit on the starboard side while operating a tiller so its just a little bit more of a reach.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Really, it depends on comfort. Are you left or right handed? Which ever works, and you can "Dry" run with the boat on the trailer. See whatever you find more comfortable. I have a 55lb thrust on my boat, and I can move it with ease. If I am working shore line, I can move it to the front, if I am trolling, I keep it on the left side, for I'm left handed. Just moving the battery is the most work.

Good luck!

F.F
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Apologies, I noticed you were using camp boats. More or less, whatever feels more comfortable, there is no wrong answer.

F.F
5oclocksomewhere
Participant
Participant

Post by 5oclocksomewhere »

Thanks for the replies. We will wait and see then.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

You need to think about fishing position too. If you are planning on trolling, you will be surprised how much drag that puts on the boat, so if you are left or right handed, you want the rod hanging over the appropriate side of the boat, with the trolling motor on the OPPOSITE side if you want good efficiency without going in circles (you can correct of course and have both on the same side, but it burns a lot more power to have the motor constantly at an angle to your direction of travel).