Mounting a Helix 7di G2N

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
sholtz
Participant
Participant

Mounting a Helix 7di G2N

Post by sholtz »

Hi guys,

I picked up a Helix 7 at the boat show this spring(winter actually) and will be mounting here in the next couple weeks hopefully. Curious what your thoughts or recommendations would be. This will be a cockpit mount as well. I have FishHawk 1650 SC. The boat is still all wrapped up so i haven't been able to test fit it yet, but I'm thinking it might be a bit a tight. I'm thinking of using the RAM mount with the shorter arm. https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-202-24-B-202U I just don't know if the normal arm will be too big for the dash and the windshield.

Thanks!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Mounting a Helix 7di G2N

Post by lape0019 »

I would say it depends on where you plan on mounting the ram. I'm sure there is a location that the regular length arm will work but the shorter arm will do just as good.

I had something similar to what you have linked on my previous boat and they do work. I did find however, that they did loosen over time and one good wave would move the fishfinder around pretty good. If I had to replace it, I would have looked at something a little different and even though of going with this one instead (A little more expensive) https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-109HU as it would have alleviated any of the minor issues I had with the mount I went with.
5oclocksomewhere
Participant
Participant

Post by 5oclocksomewhere »

I also have a Ram mount on a Lund Rebel 1625, I got one with the longer arm so it can swivel and be used when fishing from the bow.
It does not look like they make that model anymore, (2008) but the new one looks OK.
Attachments
DSC_9749.jpg
DSC_9749.jpg (85.08 KiB) Viewed 9337 times
DSC_9752.jpg
DSC_9752.jpg (82.16 KiB) Viewed 9337 times
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'd roll with the shorter arm if possible. Lock er down and she shouldn't ever move. If you get the longer one it may have room to fall...

RJ
sholtz
Participant
Participant

Post by sholtz »

RJ wrote:I'd roll with the shorter arm if possible. Lock er down and she shouldn't ever move. If you get the longer one it may have room to fall...

RJ
5oclocksomewhere wrote:I also have a Ram mount on a Lund Rebel 1625, I got one with the longer arm so it can swivel and be used when fishing from the bow.
It does not look like they make that model anymore, (2008) but the new one looks OK.
Now you both have me thinking.. I didn't consider this one. It does sit a little taller, i'm not sure if the windshield will be in the way or not.. I can always rotate it a little forward if need be.
RJ wrote:I'd roll with the shorter arm if possible. Lock er down and she shouldn't ever move. If you get the longer one it may have room to fall...

RJ
Looks like the wrapping might be coming off a little sooner than expected. take some measurements and snap a couple pictures.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I think you're on the right track.

No sense rushing into this and doing something you'll regret. Take some good measurements and go from there.
sholtz
Participant
Participant

Post by sholtz »

I have 52 days until opener. I have a little time. but I'm sure before i know it. it'll be here.. I can't wait!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

:D :D :D

I can imagine what you are feeling. I bought a new boat in December and am Having Helix 10's put on it. This will be a completely different experience from boat, motor, speed as well as fishfinders.

I had smaller, less capable units on my old boat and I can't wait to check out the new features just like you!
sholtz
Participant
Participant

Post by sholtz »

I'm sure you can't wait either. What did you upgrade to?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

coming out of a Bass Tracker PT190TX and jumping into a Ranger Z119c. Should be a blast.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I've used the RAM swing arm that is in the pictures. Really like it. I just loosen the friction knob and can swing the mount so I can see it from anywhere in the boat.

Your options might be limited with a windshield.

I bought mine from GPS City. Good selection, prices and service. Some mounts might be backordered, so I wouldn't leave your choice until the last minute.

Good luck.
sholtz
Participant
Participant

Post by sholtz »

Sorry for the long delay in getting back. Life happens. I finally on the Helix 7 mounted the day before opener. I'll get a couple pics soon. But i ended up using a RAM.
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-202-24-202U

Works perfectly. I think i'm also going to pick up another ball, "Y" splitter and run an additional set of cables to he bow where the trolling motor is. It'll be easy to connect and disconnect.
sholtz
Participant
Participant

Post by sholtz »

sholtz wrote:Sorry for the long delay in getting back. Life happens. I finally on the Helix 7 mounted the day before opener. I'll get a couple pics soon. But i ended up using a RAM.
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-202-24-202U

Works perfectly. I think i'm also going to pick up another ball, "Y" splitter and run an additional set of cables to he bow where the trolling motor is. It'll be easy to connect and disconnect.
Pics as promised.
Attachments
IMG-2629_1.jpg
IMG-2629_1.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 8683 times
IMG-2630.JPG
IMG-2630.JPG (1.84 MiB) Viewed 8683 times