Trolling motor battery

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Trolling motor battery

Post by jshow89 »

This winter I purchased a minnkota Terrova 80 for my boat, replacing the old 12v trolling motor, so I need to add a battery to my setup to accommodate the new 24v trolling motor,I understand the wiring aspect but I’m a little lost on what battery I will need and how to tell how long they will last etc, when I look at Canadian tire or stores like that there are lots of 12v deep cycle batteries so what should I be looking at??
Malyon18
Participant
Participant

Re: Trolling motor battery

Post by Malyon18 »

I have a minn kota ulterra and use 2 group 29 everstart batteries from Walmart, I can get a whole day on the lake with them no issues and that using spot lock most of the time, so I’d say moderate use of the motor. I’m no battery expert so I can just tell you what works for me lol
SnotRocket
Participant
Participant

Post by SnotRocket »

This depends on how much you want to spend. I had an 80# Terrova with 2 x 31d Optima Blue tops for the last 5 years. They only last 2 years for me so i ditched Optima and went with Odyssey batteries. These batteries are awesome compared to Optima's. A full day using trolling motor uses 1 bar on these batteries, where the Blue tops would be dead by the end of the day. The ones i use are Odyssey PC2150's. I got them for 5 bills and change a piece... i know expensive, but if you don't want to mess around with dead batteries on the troller, spend some coin on them if you can.

I also have one Ultra XD from Canadian tire that i use as a house/electronics. This battery seems pretty solid to me and has 4 year warranty which you can't beat. It is pricey as well coming in around 450$, but the Odyssey's are exceptional batteries. There are others out there as well that i haven't tried that i am sure are good.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

First off, what type of boat will these be going in? This makes a difference because the size of boat could reduce the efficiency of the batteries.

I had a Bass Tracker 190TX with a 80 terrova on it for a few years. I used 2 interstate SRM-27’s with a 160 reserve capacity (would last 160 minutes at full load) and never had any issues. I would typically get 4 years of life out of them too.

I would have went with the SRM-29’s if I had the room to fit them as their reserve capacity was 210, but made due with the 27’s. In the end, get whatever battery will fit and work for you. There are many battery places in the Ottawa area that can help you determine exactly what you need but I am certain that these interstates will work for you and they aren’t terribly expensive.

And please be sure that you buy two new batteries and don’t try to use the one you currently have with another. Replacing them in pairs is always best. Even if only one is giving you problems.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

The boat is a 18’6” princecraft deep V, aluminum not fibreglass so shouldn’t be as heavy to push as your glass bass boat, I just get confused on the battery category area, so that reserve capacity is how long it will produce at full load? When adding he two batteries together do you add both batteries reserve capacity together?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Full load might be a little bit of a stretch (probably should have wrote it out properly.) it’s actuallt how long the interstate will last at 25amp hour draw. Because it is a 24v system, it will not increase the RC. If they were hooked up to still be 12v, (positive to positive, negative to negative), the RC time would be doubled.

For the record, the bass tracker was a mod v aluminum so more similar to tour boat that a fibreglass one. At 18’6, you could probably get away with something like the SRM-27’s but if you have room for the larger SRM-29, that’s what I would go with.
FishToLive
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishToLive »

If I understand your post, you already have 1 deep cycle battery and you want to "add" a battery...

First off, you should have 2 identical batteries. You might want to sell the one you have and purchase 2 new ones.

You should also look into a onboard 3 bank charger. 2 banks for your deep cycle and 1 bank for your starting battery....

Minn-Kota has nice on-board chargers.