Navionics+ - US and Canada Compatability

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Navionics+ - US and Canada Compatability

Post by pasquini »

I purchased my Lowrance Elite 5 DSI with the Navionic+ US & Canada Bundle a few years back. I am upgrading my ff to a Humminbird Helix 7. Can I use the old Nav+ card from the Lowrance or do I need a new one. The card is registered to the Lowrance unit.

Thanks
2010 Princecraft 182 Sport
Mercury 115hp 4-S
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Navionics+ - US and Canada Compatability

Post by lape0019 »

That's a good question that may be hard to answer without trying.

I somewhat recall this being an issue with older Lowrance/Navionics Gold bundles but I am not certain on the Navionics plus card bundles.

Do you have any friends who have a helix that may be able to check if it works in their unit? I think that would be the easiest and quickest way to figure it out if no one can confirm here.
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Post by pasquini »

Was just checking the original documentation for the Lowrance unit. It was bundled with "complete Navionics Gold Coastal Data for both US and Canada. Plus 125 major Canadian lakes"
Mercury 115hp 4-S
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Purchased on their own the answer would be yes. As part of a package I'm not sure. I know the newer packaged Nav/Gps combos, the card will only work with that brand, but that was started only a couple of years ago. If you want to find out, bring your chip to Paddletales and we'll put it in a demo unit and see if it reads it.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Post by pasquini »

Just to close the loop on this, I took the Navionics Gold chip which was bundled with my Lowrance Elite 5 DSI to Ed and we tried it in a Humminbird Helix 7. The unit recognized the chip and was able to access the detailed maps on it.

A big thank you to Ed for helping me answer the question and while I don’t need a new map chip I think I am going to take his suggestion and purchase the Navionics + Regions chip which has significantly greater detail in the charts. Also as Ed pointed out, if I sell the Lowrance unit, it is much more marketable with the chip than without. The base map in the Lowrance is basically useless.

Thanks again Ed.
Mercury 115hp 4-S
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That is great to hear.

And I must say I agree with ed. The Nav+ cards are not compatible with the elite 5 DSI so at least with the gold card with it, you have some mapping capability. I learned this when borrowing a buddies Nav+ card so that I could have maps of something the gold did not cover ( I bought the DSI before the bundles came out so the gold was the card I chose). With Nav+, you will get most lakes (not just navigable waters like you do with the gold) as well as more defined lakes. It is a wise upgrade.

Having wrote all that, I also like the features on the new lake master charts so I will have one nav+ and one lake master for this upcoming season.