Helix 7 DI/GPS cutting out when I start engine

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
stephenP
Participant
Participant

Helix 7 DI/GPS cutting out when I start engine

Post by stephenP »

This is my 3rd summer with a new Legend F17 with Helix 7 DI/GPS unit. It has developed a problem with the Helix shutting down when I start the main engine after the unit is already on. This was not a problem during the first two seasons I owned the boat. Additionally, once it shuts down in this manner, its not a simple matter of just hitting the on button, but I have to remove power cable from display, then re-attach before it will turn on normally. Boat was stored inside all winter, and there has been no electrical work done except to re-connect batteries once boat was taken out of storage. Anyone have a any ideas as to cause, or trouble-shooting recommendations? Much appreciated, thank.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Helix 7 DI/GPS cutting out when I start engine

Post by River Monster »

I had a similar issue with a different hummingbird unit. Turns out my battery was getting old, the power used to start my motor wasn't enough to keep the unit on at the same time. I changed the battery and the problem went away. You could put a multi-meter on the battery connections and see how much the voltage drops when starting the battery Could also be a poor connection somewhere or corrosion starting at the connections somewhere. Putting Vaseline on your battery terminals will help prevent that. Now as for the power cable problem i'm not sure, maybe some sort of fail safe in unit.
- Rick Ozga
sholtz
Participant
Participant

Post by sholtz »

Interesting thought. I just into something similar i guess. The first time using my Helix 7 on the boat. Took the boat out of storage, hooked up the Helix 7, got er out on the water everything was fine. Also i noticed that it would occasional reboot. I couldn't figure out why. The next couple of consecutive days on the water everything was fine. No issue, so i forgot about it. I'm now thinking that over the winter the battery wasn't 100%(obviously), but after running around on day 1, the battery charged up and all was well.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

River Monster wrote:I had a similar issue with a different hummingbird unit. Turns out my battery was getting old, the power used to start my motor wasn't enough to keep the unit on at the same time. I changed the battery and the problem went away. You could put a multi-meter on the battery connections and see how much the voltage drops when starting the battery Could also be a poor connection somewhere or corrosion starting at the connections somewhere. Putting Vaseline on your battery terminals will help prevent that. Now as for the power cable problem i'm not sure, maybe some sort of fail safe in unit.
There's also an alarm on the unit that'll tell you when the battery voltage is low.

E
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I believe River Monster hit the nail on the head.

You can bring the battery in to be load tested but it sounds to me like the issue you are having has nothing to do with the Helix and everything to do with you not having enough voltage heading to the unit while cranking the motor. Most marinas will put a battery that is big enough for the motor and not realize how much draw these units take.

My suggestion would be to buy a new battery that is larger in amp hour or Reserve capacity than what you currently have and at least go up a group size (or more) for the battery. If you are running a lot of electronics, you may want to look into a dual purpose battery as the replacement as well.
Last edited by lape0019 on Tue May 22, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sholtz
Participant
Participant

Post by sholtz »

I was sharing my two cents as this just happened to me as well. I agree as well with what both you are saying.
stephenP
Participant
Participant

Post by stephenP »

Thanks for the input. It all seems to make sense except I can't figure why I would need to disconnect power cable to sonar unit prior to getting it to turn on again. I wonder if there is a fail safe issue that is triggered when unit shuts down without being able to go through the normal 3-4 second shut down sequence when you hold the on-off switch?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The only thing that I can come up with is that the unit needs 12.2 volts to function properly (This comes from the manual).

If having the unit plugged it (even though off) creates more load on the battery, after cranking, you may not have 12.2 volts. If you unplug the unit and let the battery rest for a few seconds, it may be just enough to get the voltage back up over 12.2 volts.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

lape0019 wrote:The only thing that I can come up with is that the unit needs 12.2 volts to function properly (This comes from the manual).

If having the unit plugged it (even though off) creates more load on the battery, after cranking, you may not have 12.2 volts. If you unplug the unit and let the battery rest for a few seconds, it may be just enough to get the voltage back up over 12.2 volts.

Bingo !!!!!
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Sudden low voltage can cause the unit to freeze. Sometime it might stay on but nothing works, other times it will shut right down.

You should also check where you've got your unit wired into. If your picking up power under the dash, there might be too much of a voltage drop caused by a small wire feeding the dash. I would recommend wiring direct to the battery.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Try not powering up your sonar till motor running as computers will freeze / go in sleep mode and the only way to clear it is to disconnect / reconnect power to reboot.
:idea:
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

I would go over all' electrical connections and grounds
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
hvacoutdoorsman
Participant
Participant

Post by hvacoutdoorsman »

Like toobinator said above, This is a very definite issue. I had the same issue with my unit at the bow. I actually ran 14gauge wire from my main power switch at the consul, which is also 14gauge from the battery. Problem solved. Smaller wire can cause a voltage drop feeding the unit. Sometimes, if you have too many other power consuming devices turned on or just powered all the time, the more sensitive units will drop out or lock up. Which seems to be you case. I would do like above and run a 14 gauge wire direct from battery, but make sure you have it fused. You shouldn't have anymore issues. If you do, more than likely your battery is getting weak and needs replacing.

Let us know what you did to rectify. Always nice to know incase it's something out of the ordinary.

Wolfy