transducer rooster tail

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
loophole
Participant
Participant

transducer rooster tail

Post by loophole »

I had a Humminbird system installed on my Legend boat last summer. Didn't really notice at the time but the transducer causes a rooster tail plume of water to fly up and hit the side of my motor cover. No water gets in, the cover is nice and tight. But surely the rooster tail can't be normal. Any suggestions as to what I should do to fix it? Is re-installing it a tad lower likely to eliminate the rooster tail?

While I'm at it, my speedometer doesn't work. The sensor bar appears to be as low as it can go but I don't get a read out on the dial. Suggestions?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: transducer rooster tail

Post by lape0019 »

Lowering it will more than likely make it worse. Every boat I have seen a transducer installed on has had some sort of rooster tail because of it. you could try raising it a bit which will change the height of the rooster tail but will never eliminate it. The adverse effect would be that you may not get a return when going faster. Or at least you would not get a return at the same top speed as you once did.

As for your speedometer, I never really paid much attention to the one on the boat as they seem to be a few MPH off. I just look at what the speed on my graph stated. GPS speed is more accurate.
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Post by pasquini »

Humminbird also has a small rubber plug that fills the gap between the transducer and the mounting bracket. It helps reduce the rooster tail effect. There was one included with my new Helix 7 that I installed earlier this year..
2010 Princecraft 182 Sport
Mercury 115hp 4-S
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Raise the transducer a bit.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

Thanks everyone.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Best thing to do is install a plate over top of the transducer. You can find all sorts of designs on YouTube. I used a dollar store cutting board .
Makes all the difference in the world especially if you're driving with your topset on (fall is coming) as you can get soaked from the suction caused by the top set.