Plastic bunk wrap

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Plastic bunk wrap

Post by Roblin »

Is anyone using plastic bunk wrap.

Pros/Cons.

Thanks
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Plastic bunk wrap

Post by toobinator »

There was a guy a couple of years ago that used some type of coating to either cover or replace his bunks. It was advertised as making it very easy to power load the boat. That part was true, but it also worked in reverse. When he was backing down the ramp, he touched his brakes and the boat slid off onto the ramp. oops :shock:

Having said all that I can't remember if it was plastic or Teflon.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

Thanks for the reply.

I have to re-cover my bunks and was looking at something a little more resilient than carpet.

I'm looking at Caliber Bunk Wrap.

By the time you buy good carpet, glue, staples your into around 100.00 which close to the cost of the wrap.

Just not sure what to do.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I was in the same boat as you and decided to purchase caliber bunk wrap (2x6) from fish'n'tech. Happy I did, looks good and Very easy to install. Havnt used the boat a whole lot this year so hard to say if it makes a huge difference loading the boat. But even if there is no difference i'm still happy i purchased it.
- Rick Ozga
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I haven't used it but I have read enough reviews to knw I will be buying something similar the Cailber bunk material.

As Ed pointed out, the only disadvantage that I have come across is that it is a little slicker than carpet so people recommend you leave the winch strap hooked up in the front until you are at the water.

I was (and probably still am) planning on buying Gatorbaks. They seem to be a little thicker than the wrap you are looking at and are formed for what you are putting them on.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the Gatorbak on line but couldn't find a local dealer for pricing info,

Going to try the Caliber. Ordered it from Amazon. They sell lots of products and have a good website, so I'm hoping they'll be around if I have a problem.

Also going to replace the bunks with pressure teated. I'll send out some pic.'s when I've installed and used it for a bit.
horsehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

Roblin I wouldn't use pressure treated especially with an aluminum boat the green is a definite no. The brown is said to be OK but as the people at the lumber yard said " do you want to be the test" I bought cedar but considered going to a mill and getting hemlock
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water