trolling motor

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
xRED
Participant
Participant

trolling motor

Post by xRED »

Well my V2 quit working last fall, I want auto pilot any way
so for the price of repair and auto pilot I might as well upgrade.
I see Cabelas has them on sale good timing.
my boat is a Lund 1650 rebel XL
weighs around 2000lbs with 2 people on board.
I never fish with more then 2
Currently my V2 is 55lb but for the extra 200 I figure I might as well
get 80.
Tight fit in the battery box but 2 batteries looks to fit. (by design no doubt)
Means I will need another on bard charger too caching again.

I am torn between the terrova and Ultrex.
From what I see the Terrova will do everything I need
just wondering beside cable steer and 1 year longer warranty what advantage there is
to getting the Ultrex?
90% of Time I will likely use remote to steer or spot lock.
If they are both 80# do they use the same motor?
Better controller?
I see the ultrex seems to deploy differently
but from what I read is the Terrova is easy to deploy and stow.
Especially if compared to the V2.

Any one have experience with both?
Think the Terrova is it but wouldnt mind other input
to figure out if the ultrex is worth another 700 bux.
2014 LUND 1650 XL
90 Merc 4 Stroke
Elite 9Ti w/totalscan
80# Terrova
LMS-332C bow
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: trolling motor

Post by toobinator »

The Terrova has a smaller mount and will be a bit slower in the steering. The Ultrex has a Gator style mount and is easier to stow and deploy, although the Terrovas added a lift assist a couple of years ago. In my store I find as a general rule the bass guys like the Ultrex, the walleye guys the Terrova. You won't go wrong with either.

Give me a call at Paddletales Tuesday (closed Mondays) and I will give you our price.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

xRED,

Having used the powerdrive (non V2), the 2nd gen terrova and now an ultrex, I am hoping to be able to shed some light on your quest for your newest trolling motor.

The Terrova is nice. As you have experience with the V2, I would say the major differences will be the pedal, stow/deploy of TM and turning speed. There is no doubt that the Terrova will turn quicker than the v2. I have also struggled with deploying and stowing the powerdrive and although still awkward, the Terrova stows much better. And the nicest thing about the newest Terrova is that the pedal has a button for spot lock on it which means you will not really need to even take the remote out if your main concern is spot lock. There is no doubt in my mind that the Terrova is that much better than the V2.

Now, I have had my ultrex for 1 season and so far, it is the best trolling motor I ever had but as Ed pointed out, it really depends how you fish. I fish for bass so I absolutely love this TM. The speed the head turns is just as fast or possibly faster than the speed of a cable steer. And it is so smooth and easy to push on the pedal compared to cable steer. Again, the pedal has a button for spot lock and the ultrex is by far the easiest of the three mentioned to stow and deploy. It is more akin to a cable driven motor than an electric driven motor when in reality, it is a bit of both. The only downside I could see with your boat is that the pedal is much taller than the one on a Terrova so you may not like that unless you have a TM pedal tray. But other than that, the ultrex outshines everything else minnkota makes unless you want the auto stow/deploy of the ulterra.

As for the size of the TM, I don't see any reason not to go with the 80lb. I am assuming that the 55 on your boat right now has worked for some time but no one ever complained of getting too big of a TM.

Good luck with your purchase!

Adam
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

What is "dead" about the old V2 and what are you doing with it?
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

I have the new terrova 80lb 24v with ipilot and I am happy with it ! Spot lock keeps you planted!! Never had a issue with it! Its on a bass tracker 195. I just could not justify the extra $ for the ultrex when the terrova does everything I need and more !
xRED
Participant
Participant

Post by xRED »

thanks for the replies
lape thanks for the insight pretty much what I have read in various forums.
Since ive never had an issue with the reaction of the PD I don't think i need the
Ultrex, also there isnt alot of room in the bow so not sure I really want the big pedal.

Biggest thing for me is longevity, not real impressed with the V2 but my last one
was 6 years old when i traded last boat and was still working.
I think the 55# is bare min for my boat I always had to run it wide open
especially against the current in the ottawa so a 80# should be better.
The ulterra looks cool but I have my doubts about longevity due
to more moving parts.

Scarkner, think the control board is gone the head turns but the prop no turn.
It gradually died on last few trips of last year. it seemed slower but worked near the end of the year.
next trip it was weak and would just hold me still against current
last trip out it wouldnt turn at all.
Figured maybe battery but another battery did the same and was definitely charged.
Was going to get a ipilot for it but really havn't been happy with the motor since new.
Not sure what I am going to do with it, was going to tinker with it
to see if I can get it running then maybe sell it.

Lvace thats the way I see it to.
the ultrex looks awesome but the extra 700, bigger pedal and all the same function
is hard to justify.
I do prefer its deploy/stow mechanism but from the videos Ive seen
the new terrova looks pretty easy too.

Thanks again on all replies I will let ya know what I end up with
but for now I think its the Terrova unless I find a reason to change my mind.
2014 LUND 1650 XL
90 Merc 4 Stroke
Elite 9Ti w/totalscan
80# Terrova
LMS-332C bow
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

xRED wrote: Scarkner, think the control board is gone the head turns but the prop no turn.
It gradually died on last few trips of last year. it seemed slower but worked near the end of the year.
next trip it was weak and would just hold me still against current
last trip out it wouldnt turn at all.
Figured maybe battery but another battery did the same and was definitely charged.
Was going to get a ipilot for it but really havn't been happy with the motor since new.
Not sure what I am going to do with it, was going to tinker with it
to see if I can get it running then maybe sell it.
I have fixed quite a few trolling motors - what you describe is almost certainly a leak in the motor head. Not actually too hard to fix. Open it up, drain the water. Try to clean out any corrosion with a soft brush. I like to then flush the brush-assembly with 99% alcohol (from the drug store) as it will soak up any remaining water and dries really nice. To re-seal the motor I use instant-gasket, let it almost dry then screw everything together. I haven't heard of any motor I've done leaking after.

Once I had a trolling motor come to me (ironically on a boat that I had bought) that also did this, turned out to be worn wires inside the down-tube, the insulation was gone and they were periodically shorting out. It would run slow and then blow the fuse. Since you aren't reporting fuse blow, that's probably not the case.

Have fun tinkering - that's what I love to do too :-)
Note: This is not an open offer to repair trolling motors LOL. I got lots on my plate already :-)
Steve
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

the terrova is really easy to deploy! Most days I can do it with one hand!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Lvace wrote:I have the new terrova 80lb 24v with ipilot and I am happy with it ! Spot lock keeps you planted!! Never had a issue with it! Its on a bass tracker 195. I just could not justify the extra $ for the ultrex when the terrova does everything I need and more !
Unless you bought a new boat and you do not have the one I sold you anymore, you have a 190 :D .

Xred, based on the added info you provided, go with the 80. If you are currently running on high 90% of the time, you'll be better served with an 80. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Terrova. If you do not have a foot pedal tray and have no room for one and do not care about the speed the motor turns, the terrova is definitely the way to go.

The ultrex does everything the terrova does except turn the head faster when using the pedal. If you use the remote, it turns just as fast as the terrova does.

Whatever you decide between your options, you will be happy. They are all good products.

Adam
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

lape0019 wrote:
Lvace wrote:I have the new terrova 80lb 24v with ipilot and I am happy with it ! Spot lock keeps you planted!! Never had a issue with it! Its on a bass tracker 195. I just could not justify the extra $ for the ultrex when the terrova does everything I need and more !
Unless you bought a new boat and you do not have the one I sold you anymore, you have a 190 :D . Adam
I stand corrected lol
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Post by Moobe »

I Have a terrova. I like it for my uses (multi species). Spot lock is a great feature and i use it on the Larry, to the fullest of its potential, to stay on humps etc in quick current - it never fails to impress me with how well it does this. My fishing buddy has the Ultrex. No question it's easier to deploy and stow so if you're runnin and gunnin for bass its going to save you some back pain and time. Even with my assisted stowing feature its no contest but don't get me wrong its not like you'd struggle with the terrova its not like your lifting a car or something...its a TM after all it's just a bit more user friendly/one handed with the Ultrex.

The price difference is one of those you get what you pay for things. Neither is cheap but Ultrex was a bit too big of a mount and the price point was too high. I also like that I can use the remote and pedal at the same time because depending on what I'm doing I flip back and forth between them. If you get either you will be not regret it they are both really solid choices

good luck
Moo
xRED
Participant
Participant

Post by xRED »

got the terrova now I need batteries
think just going to get a pair of costco specials
the AGM batteries are twice as much but are they worth it?
quicker charge times is a plus if you want to use it back to back days.
2014 LUND 1650 XL
90 Merc 4 Stroke
Elite 9Ti w/totalscan
80# Terrova
LMS-332C bow