Which Boat to Buy?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
James A
Participant
Participant

Which Boat to Buy?

Post by James A »

I've found a great deal on two possible aluminum boats... And I don't know which one I should get. (note: haven't seen them in person yet)

The first one is a 14 foot aluminum boat with a trailer and 8 horse Mariner outboard motor.

The second is a 16 foot Springbok with split seat, with a 15 Yamaha, and trailer.
"The Springbok needs a new plywood floor, and we have the original floor for a template. The motor has not been used for about 10 years, but we had it serviced before putting it away. We will have the motors serviced at our cost again before we sell them."

The 14' is about $200 more expensive than the 16'.

I have no experience working on boats, how much trouble and cost would it be is it to replace a plywood floor? Also, what is a "split-seat"

I know the individual selling the boats and everything they own is in great shape so I'm not too worried on that end.

Please let me know which one you would buy and the reasoning behind it.
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Which Boat to Buy?

Post by jona38 »

I'd go with the 16' for sure. You're never going to be disappointed with a little extra room. IMO the Yamaha is abetter motor and if its a 2-stroke I can tell you for sure they're bulletproof. Also if the owner is having it serviced that's a bonus right there. If you're handy at all the floor will be no problem. The split bench is just that...the back bench is divided into 2 which makes it much more comfortable. If it has a swivel seat you can swing front to back without lifting your legs over the bench. Its a no brainer for me but that's just my 2 cents. Jon
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I totally agree with Jon. The 16 ft will allow you to go on bigger water and in more wind. The floor isn't really necessary if you don't want to bother. As for the split seat I have it in my 14ft Yukon and it is so much better all the way around. I even put a little extension on the opposite bench to mound my salty rod holder on, so convenient.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

16’ for sure
James A
Participant
Participant

Post by James A »

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll be seeing them this weekend, so after 5 years or so I might finally be getting my boat!

Now any hints and tips on operating one? :)
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

James A wrote: Now any hints and tips on operating one? :)
Always run premium fuel without ethanol and use seafoam. Every trip always remember to look and see if it's pumping water well. It should be warm water but not so hot that you can't check the temp with your fingers. Carry spare plugs and a spare shear pin along with a few basic tools. Also make sure the motor isn't locked down in case you hit bottom or a stump, that way it will kick up. Good luck.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
James A
Participant
Participant

Post by James A »

Saw the boat this weekend, boat looks great for what it is, motor looks brand new (1990 I believe) but the trailer is super rough. I'm going to do some work on it and see if I can get it rolling. I'm thinking that as long as the axle isn't completely seized it should be salvageable.

Thank you everyone for your opinion and advice!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

If the trailer is that rough I would start with new wheel bearings and spring loaded bearing caps like a Bearing Buddy, that will save you a lot of worries.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter