2 stroke motor oil.

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
archer2u
Participant
Participant

2 stroke motor oil.

Post by archer2u »

Is it safe to use synthetic 2stroke oil in older motors? I’ve got a 20hp Johnson from 73 that runs like a top except the wife doesn’t like the Smokey ambience that it creates while trolling when the wind is at our backs. I’m told the synthetic is a lot less smokey.
Thanks Adam
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: 2 stroke motor oil.

Post by smitty55 »

So far as I know you shouldn't have a problem. I use Amsoil in my 72 6hp and my 81 20hp. Apparently I could use a leaner mixture with that oil but I still stick to the 50:1.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
tacklebox
Participant
Participant

Post by tacklebox »

I have a 2004 Johnson 15 hp 2 stroke I use the recommended oil from the MFG and have had no problems I also use the best hightest fuel from the pumps very little smoke and when it seems to be smoking a good full throttle run does the trick I would never run it lean just to be safe ,,My 2 cents worth... Neil

tacklebox happy fishing
archer2u
Participant
Participant

Post by archer2u »

Picked up some amsoil interceptor and premium gas 50:1 ratio and gave the old 20 hp Johnson a run around the lake, runs like a charm. Very little smoke and starts first pull, thanks lads.
tacklebox
Participant
Participant

Post by tacklebox »

Good luck fishing Happy motoring tacklebox