Fixing a hole in a boat

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
James A
Participant
Participant

Fixing a hole in a boat

Post by James A »

Without going into a long story my aluminum boat now has a small punched hole about the diameter of a pencil.

Is there any easy do-it-yourself fix that would work or should I take it to a professional and have it welded?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Fixing a hole in a boat

Post by smitty55 »

Never tried it but some fiberglass cloth and some resin should work fine. Plus I've used those metal putty sticks and a torch to fix a split and it worked great. Also there is those aluminum putty sticks that you knead to mix and then apply. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/star ... 0148p.html

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
tacklebox
Participant
Participant

Post by tacklebox »

I have used marine goop its called on my old aliuminum boat works for me sold at CTC
Piscivore
Participant
Participant

Post by Piscivore »

Two questions: where is the hole, and what kind of aluminum boat are we talking about.

Epoxy based patches like J.B. Weld and Star Brite can work if you don't have to bridge between substrate and it is not subjected to vibration and repeated shocks. If you say the hole is the size of a pencil and it is on the bow below the waterline, I wouldn't trust an adhesive alone. You will need something to give it strength, like fibreglass cloth, wire, or a piece of aluminum. If your boat is a lower horsepower, open tin boat, then it will be easier to work on than a larger horsepower boat with storage lockers, decks and live wells.

A really strong patch would be to flatten and sand the area around the hole. Find a piece of Aluminum larger than the hole and sand it too (the oxides of Aluminum won't let epoxy adhere as well). Rivet the piece of aluminum to the hull around the hole. Whether the patch piece belongs inside or outside the hull depends on too many factors to guess without seeing the boat. Inject epoxy or one of the above products into the hole, allow to cure and sand flat. Or get it welded!

If the hole is not in a critical area, one of the epoxy products might work alone.

I recommend carrying a roll of aluminum muffler tape for emergencies on the water. It has kept canoes afloat with some really nasty gashes in them!