Who makes the best side scan sonar?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Alex Bull
Participant
Participant

Who makes the best side scan sonar?

Post by Alex Bull »

I'm looking to get a new graph for my boat. I was thinking something with a 9" screen, but I'm not sure which brand to go with.

I have a Lowrance elite chirp 5 that I really like how easy it is to navigate their UI, but I would like to get another unit with side scan.

In your opinion, who makes the best side-scan sonar?

Cheers
David Chong
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Who makes the best side scan sonar?

Post by David Chong »

They're all pretty good these days but I believe the best value for a 9" unit with ClearVu(Down) & SideVu is the Garmin EchoMap Plus 95sv from last year! Seen them on sale for $999.99 or the 2020 model which has an UHD all in one transducer which is usually around $1,600.00. Both come pre-loaded with the Garmin g3 CanadaVu charts consisting of both Navionics & Garmin data! Very easy to use as well!
Special Thanks to all my valued sponsors and my darling wife for all their support!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'm a Bird guy and no I'm not affiliated with them. I'm sure any of the big three will be more than you need!

RJ
Alex Bull
Participant
Participant

Post by Alex Bull »

Awesome, thanks for the info!
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

I second the Garmin units, love my new one, have had both humminbird and Lowrance recently and the Garmin outclasses them in both ease of use (UI) and display. The bonus for me is the Autochart, you can record the areas you fish without buying a "special" card. My lake has no mapping for it other than what I have created. Take where you fish into consideration when looking at units.
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I carry Humminbird and Garmin at Paddletales. On my boat I have run Birds in the past and have been pleased with them. This winter I added a Garmin just for the Live Scope feature. Haven' had a chance to use it though. Maybe tomorrow. Lol. The pluses for the Birds and Garmins are their dealer and customer support, an area where Lowrance is sadly lacking.

I do have a 2020 model 95SV Garmin in stock as well.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

I've have a few older Humminbird Units (love them) and been on a friends boat who have Humminbird Mega on huge unit. MEGA this MEGA that,.. pretty cool. Can't say much about Lowrance.
I have just switched to Garmin on my boat for this season. I use the 9x Echomap from the boat for ice as well.
Based on all the youtube and some personal experience I'd say aside from the Garmin Livescope, they are all in the same park, it's personal pref (UI, user friendly etc). Although I don't know who does best networking.

Just get the most screen size you can afford,.. then get the next size up :)

cheer
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

I just bought the new lowrance and it's the worst I've ever used. It's the hook 5x HDI
Fisherman are the biggest liars.