Can I go down to one battery

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Terry in Almonte
Participant
Participant

Can I go down to one battery

Post by Terry in Almonte »

I have a 14' Princecraft with a floor and remote console, powered by a 1996 Johnson 25 fitted with a 4 amp non-regulated alternator.

At present there are two batteries in the boat.

Battery 1 runs the electric start, bilge pump, running lights, fish finder and 12v outlet for phone charging.
Battery 2 runs the anchor and used to run a trolling motor which I no longer have.

Can I eliminate battery 2 and run the anchor from battery 1? It would save me money, weight and deck space.

I fish at least one day a week and don't anchor all that much.

It's time to replace the batteries and want to know if one battery will do the job and if so, what specs should I be looking for?
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Can I go down to one battery

Post by toobinator »

You no longer need the second battery. It's primary use was to power the trolling motor which you no longer have.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Piker
Participant
Participant

Post by Piker »

You might want to consider the location of battery 1 relative to the anchor motor. If it is 14', you'll be looking at the cost of running 28' of heavy wire if you eliminate battery 2. Proper marine grade wire fitted with appropriate ends might cost more than the second battery.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Ed is right. You’d have a lot of interference if you were to run a trolling motor and a fish finder on the same battery but if you aren’t using the trolling motor anymore, no need for a second battery.