Need a suggestion of where to fish this weekend.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Here's Bacon's big fella....keep in mind....Bacon is a big fella too...

Location of the fish was in shallow water near on the sand flats.....and out at the Sailing club you don't have to go far to find em... :wink:

Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Went back out this morning and had a good time. Karack don;t feel so bad, I had 14 in the boat before Kingman figured out how to set the hook :lol: :lol: .

FireFox fish shallow if it’s deeper than 3 feet it’s too deep.

For anyone who wants to have some fun just head down the Andrew Hayden park and fish shallow.

slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Hey guys.

Nice fish! and report. Xenos, I see that you've reported these cats to be shallow. Could you comment on the set-up/components..... what was effective.

Thanks

Slop
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I’m just using a jig head ( black or white) used many seizes and colors and all seamed to work the same and a worm. I just cast it out and feel for the slightest pull on the line, It’s subtle, and if you miss it the worm is gone and so is the fish. I am using 20lb power pro on a 6.6 MedL St. Croix rod and I think it’s this combination that’s allowing me too feel the hit as mentioned before it’s light, really light.

P.S. Good Luck and bring 3 or 4 dozen worms and use a full one on the hook.
Cracker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Cracker »

Great report, Xenos. I wish I could have made it out with you. Maybe another time? I'll be happy to pay for the gas.:wink:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

For shore guys this spot will pay off....there's a creek that runs into the Ottawa within the park....I noticed that Xenos and Karack didn't leave there too often... :wink:
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

For sure RJ, there was a guy fishing there from shore on Sat. PM and he was holding his own to be sure.

Karack
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

Xenos wrote:Karack don;t feel so bad, I had 14 in the boat before Kingman figured out how to set the hook :lol: :lol: .
Xenos, I'm sure that I would have hooked one BEFORE you got the 14th! I'm 110% positive of that!!! 8) :P :lol: :wink:

Karack
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Ok guys there Cats and RJ just let one out of the bag. There right in the mouth of the creek, in 2.5 feet of water. Just throw a worm in there and hold on.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Just spreadin the wealth.... :wink: :D

If any warmer weather hits I bet they move out to a bit deeper water...

RJ
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Catfish from shore

Post by JimW »

Great fish guys!!!

Where is this Andrew Hayden park?

I've never fished for channel cats and was thinking about giving shore fishing a try sometime this week after work.

JimW
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Andrew Hayden Park is off Carling in the west end, just before entering Kanata.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Thanks saskie I'll have to check it out sometime this week.

Jimw
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Catfish from shore

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

JimW wrote:Great fish guys!!!Where is this Andrew Hayden park?JimW
Jim...best way to get there...Queensway to Moodie. Head North on Moodie, you'll vurtually run right into it!
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

RJ and Xenos,

Thanks for the tip where you guys were able catch some cats. I was out to AH Park last night to try and reel in a few, but I was nowhere near as successful as you guys seemed to be. We tried the creek mouths on both sides of the park - no bites. Headed out to fish the main river off the breakwater closer to dark. My buddy was using worms and I had smelt for bait - thought we would try different baits to see if they were being picky. Just as it was getting dark enough to go home, my buddy got a good bite and landed a very nice channel cat. He put on another worm for the last 10 mins of fishing, and got a few other little bites - probably sunfish or perch.

Just before we were ready to leave, my line started to take off too, so I set the hook and knew immediately I was into a very nice fish - my first thought was that I had a big catfish on, but it wasnt fighting the same as the cat I got a few weeks ago. This thing was fighting like crazy, staying deep and definately not giving in. Well, when I finally got it close enough to shore to pull it up out of the water, a narrow sleek head emerges . Its 20 inches of American eel. I have caught ling up north before, but never anything like this. Ugh. Its dark so I cant take a picture of it either. The wierdest thing was when I was trying to figure out how to unhook this thing, it gets its tail around one of the broken rocks on the breakwater, and proceeds to wrap itself around the rock - pulling the line through my fingers so hard that I actually think the line will break or cut my hand.

Anyways, that ended the trip - I guess you never know what you might catch in a river like the Ottawa. Next time I think I will avoid the smelts and stick with the worms. No need to catch another one of those guys.

Fox.