Murphy's point camping and fishing info

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Murphy's point camping and fishing info

Post by rex.stpierre »

I was just surprised by my girlfriend. She organized a weekend camping trip at Murphy's point. We are going with another couple. My buddy loves trolling and trout fishing. I get tired of trolling pretty quick if we don't catch fish. If we go with dipsy divers. Trolling rods, and lead core rods with a bucket of spoons, should we be able to get trout in big rideau or should we stick to bass and pike.

I have a navionics app on my phone. We also have two fish finders... I'm hoping we will be able to find the fish. Any tips, information about Murphy's point would be appreciated.

He's one hell of a trout fisherman but we have never been to the big rideau... Or fished that area at all. Maybe you guys can refer a guide to me that can take 4 passengers in boat!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Re: Murphy's point camping and fishing info

Post by steve_rauch »

Well I have been there about 5 times so far this summer.. I have been using spoons with flashers on downriggers and have yet to be skunked. My dad is a bit old school and uses led core with a gang troll and hes caught a few as well. Right now i've been fishing in 75 to 120 fow and all the fish have all been suspended.
Once you launch at the campsite you can go left or right and fish right away.
Today I was fishing the shoals and they seemed to be stacked up there.
As for a guide... RJ would be your best bet and would be well worth the money.... he's always on the fish. ;) ;)
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Great info! Thanks! We will stick to the big dipsy then and I'll make sure I pack the flashers!! Do they bite all day long?
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Deep diving crankbaits work too, been getting better quality lakers on Reefer 800s with 2-3 colours out.
Also don't forget jigs, slabs like Kastmasters or Hopkins smoothies, or the ole 4" white tube.
There's lots of shad in BR, and they have been anywhere from the surface to 70 feet down, and agree
running your lures 40-70 feet down over 75 - 120 fow good. BR hasn't been stocked since 2006, they
didn't want stocked fish messing with the natural reproduction and its appears to be working from
all the small lakers caught this year.
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

It turns out my GF seems a it unsure about the details... We might be heading out there with Kayaks.

I think jigging with tubes and swim baits might be the only logical method out of a kayak in Hoggs Bay :$.... I'll get displeased with drifting...

Maybe I'll end up sticking to bass and pike in Loon Lake and Hoggs Bay closer to shore... Maybe I can find a shallow flat with the navionics app...

You guys are really helpful, thanks again.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

rex.stpierre wrote:It turns out my GF seems a it unsure about the details... We might be heading out there with Kayaks.

I think jigging with tubes and swim baits might be the only logical method out of a kayak in Hoggs Bay :$.... I'll get displeased with drifting....
Jigging should work great... Check this guy out ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b-TryV75r0
Just don't expect a walleye.

For trolling, you should still try it - get some 1-3 oz weights (i use snap weights) but rig a three-way and you can troll slow and cover water in a kayak even down deep. Try a silver spoon, 50-70 ft down in 120 FOW right out in front of the bay, that shoud do the trick. I use a west river spoon but a lighter flutter spoon would be good if you keep it slow.
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chappee77 »

Typically I will run two downriggers and a lead core down the shoot if there
is three of us and many times the leadcore is the best set up. Try running 6 to 8 colours of
leadcore with 50ft of florocarbon behind it, then put a gang troll on it with a minnow behind it.
Troll between 1.1 and 1.4mph
depth 80 to 120ft of water
If you dont get a laker on the big Rideau doing this I'll eat my underwear.... :lol: :lol: :wink:
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

chappee77 wrote:Typically I will run two downriggers and a lead core down the shoot if there
is three of us and many times the leadcore is the best set up. Try running 6 to 8 colours of
leadcore with 50ft of florocarbon behind it, then put a gang troll on it with a minnow behind it.
Troll between 1.1 and 1.4mph
depth 80 to 120ft of water
If you dont get a laker on the big Rideau doing this I'll eat my underwear.... :lol: :lol: :wink:
6 to 8 colors at 1.1 to 1.4 miles per hour would put me between 40 and 60 feet right?

I usually get about 6 feet per color and always troll lakers with my minn kota.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Its official, we are in nobles bay boat in....the backcountry campsites.

I will be leaving the kayak at home and bringing an inflatable with me and my minn kota...

My girlfriend has informed me that she needs to fish but she does not need to target anything specific! I will be most likely trolling for Lakers in that bay until my battery runs out.

I'll try and vertical fish is the drift allows my to anchor myself somewhere adequate. I am bringing a net to try and get live shinners... Should be interesting at night under a glow bobber...

Unfortunately we are only going there for one night. I will get to fish one evening and one morning.
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

rex.stpierre wrote:Its official, we are in nobles bay boat in....the backcountry campsites.

I will be leaving the kayak at home and bringing an inflatable with me and my minn kota...

My girlfriend has informed me that she needs to fish but she does not need to target anything specific! I will be most likely trolling for Lakers in that bay until my battery runs out.

I'll try and vertical fish is the drift allows my to anchor myself somewhere adequate. I am bringing a net to try and get live shinners... Should be interesting at night under a glow bobber...

Unfortunately we are only going there for one night. I will get to fish one evening and one morning.
The Narrows is a popular laker spot. Its just around the corner from your camp site.
Disappointed you're not taking the yak. Kayaks, lakers and BR is my thing. ;)
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Does anyone have experience with bottom/bobber fishing from shore off that campsite at night? Navionics shows a depth of 7 feet which is probably a bit more at this time a year. If I'm going to get my girlfriend a licence, we could throw lines out there while we eat supper and sit by the fire at night.

The wind will be light and from the north, we are on the western side of the campsite.

Do you guys have an idea how busy the bay will be or how busy the narrows will be? Are we talking about mostly trout fisherman or will guys have decided to target bass on the 21st?

It's my first time on the big Rideau.

I guess it might be worth trying to catch bait also.
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Post by steve_rauch »

just be aware if you are out and about, there are lots of trout fishermen there all the time. I suspect with bass opener you may see a few guys out and about.
Most important tho... there are alot of big boats out there that leave a big wake. I've had some real winners drive full speed no less then 20 feet away from me :evil: :evil:
if you bring a small hook you will have no problem catching a few minnows off the dock at the boat launch
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

steve_rauch wrote:just be aware if you are out and about, there are lots of trout fishermen there all the time. I suspect with bass opener you may see a few guys out and about.
Most important tho... there are alot of big boats out there that leave a big wake. I've had some real winners drive full speed no less then 20 feet away from me :evil: :evil:
if you bring a small hook you will have no problem catching a few minnows off the dock at the boat launch
I have a very short temper for disrespectful/oblivious/ignorant boaters on a waterway...Full speed in the actual bay or through the narrows?
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Post by steve_rauch »

for the most part by the narrows.. i was in that bay last weekend and marked 3 fish and no takers...
i don't fish that part of the lake much ....
just wanted to give you a heads up...its a busy place but when its nice ... watch out
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

steve_rauch wrote:for the most part by the narrows.. i was in that bay last weekend and marked 3 fish and no takers...
i don't fish that part of the lake much ....
just wanted to give you a heads up...its a busy place but when its nice ... watch out
Thanks, much appreciated!