Nice fun job

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Nice fun job

Post by smitty55 »

Great summer job for a couple looking for outdoor employment. Not sure what it pays but would still be a great experience regardless.

NW Ontario Fishing/Hunting Lodge - Seeking Couple
Wawang Lake Resort - Ottawa, ON

Our lodge is looking for energetic qualifying couple - that meets the following requirements for season long employment from May 1, 2015 to October 31, 2015. Each person will need to submit a resume for this job. Please include spouses name in order for us to identify the couple.

At Wawang Lake we are proud of the quality of service provided to our guests, and, a professional and customer-friendly atmosphere is very evident at our lodge. Prospective employees must be customer-focused, friendly, helpful, and positive. Supporting and working with others in a "team approach" is important and vital to the guest's overall enjoyment of their "North Woods" vacation.

The two qualities we most look for in a potential employee are a positive, cheerful attitude and the ability to be flexible no matter what the task may be - within irregular days and at times - long hours.

Resort Staff, Guide/Maintenance work: Greeting guests and providing lake orientation on our detailed lake map. Providing helpful fishing instruction to guests prior to their trip out on the lake. Due to high guest interaction, and outgoing personality is a huge plus in this task, and, knowledge of fishing for walleye (pickerel) and northern pike is essential.

Responsible for daily upkeep and general cleanliness of boats and fish-house. Perform bait/tackle/fuel sales. Maintain cleaning and servicing boats and motors, locators, trolling motors, and helping guests wherever the occasion requires it.

Additional duties include daily trash pick-up, fish cans drop-off, wood chopping, wood/kindling delivery to units, minor repairs of waterfront and maintenance equipment, performing minor repairs in and around lodging accommodations, mowing and raking of lawn, watering garden plants, sweeping walk-ways and dock area, brush and limb removal, and other duties, as needed. Previous boat handling experience and basic outboard maintenance knowledge desired.

Basic construction knowledge very desirable. Must have a valid DL with good driving record and be able to pass a 75 lbs. lift test.

Persons employed for Guiding & Resort Maintenance Staff will perform duties and responsibilities in both areas. Must be dependable, punctual, and timely in performing housekeeping tasks. Must have great attention to detail, follow the guidelines and checklists for proper cleaning and sanitizing, and take direction and instruction seriously.

A good conscientious work ethic with pride in cleanliness is essential. Must also be self-directed and work well on own, as some cleaning will occur by an individual staff person. Responsible for replenishing cleaning supplies at the end of the housekeeping shift, and responsible for cleaning of the equipment (vacuums, etc.) used in housekeeping.

Laundry duties includes managing the washing and drying of linens, toweling, carpets, etc. Folding of the linens and preparation for housekeepers are also tasks involved in this position. Following specific directions for sanitizing laundry and proper care of linens is vital. Small mending tasks may also arise.

Must have a valid DL with good driving record.

Lodge: Pleasant phone skills, and competent computer skills are necessary. Must be professional, trustworthy, and detail orientated. Other responsibilities include greeting guests, check-in and check-out procedures, providing tours of the facility, operating copy machines, creating signage, bulletins, memos, performing mailings of brochures, etc.

Must handle cash register lodge store, make correct transactions when selling merchandise. Required to keep store displays stocked, clean and orderly. Maintain a clean lodge and public bathroom facilities; assist guests with general questions, directions, sign-ups for programs, etc.; follow the "opening" and "closing" procedures for the lodge. Must be cheerful and energetic when assisting guests and customers. Must be self-directive and look for tasks to complete in the supervision of the Lodge. Required to assist in the preparation and clean up for buffet meals.
Training is provided for tasks.

You may be hired for a specific position, but often, there is overlapping between the duties that staff at Wawang Lake performs. For example, it is not that unusual for the Guide to perform housekeeping duties, particularly on Saturdays which is our typical resort "turn-over" day. That is the nature expectations at a remote/wilderness camp. Guide must have knowledge of walleye (pickerel) and northern pike fishing, have Boater Certificate and experienced to operate O/B motors 6 hp. to 25 hp.

Do you like getting back to nature and working in the outdoors? If you would like to spend your spring, summer, and early fall in the awesome beauty of the Northwestern Ontario, then employment at Wawang Lake Resort may be for you!

Please include resumes for both people.

Employment Application: (Cut/Paste into browser address bar) http://wawang.coffeecup.com/Jobs
Smitty

Straight shooter
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Nice fun job

Post by Doug »

That looks too much like hard work to be attractive to an old fart............ :wink:

OK I have prepared the boat, loaded the bait and supplies, taken the clients out, held their hands while they catch a ton of fish, cooked them a shore lunch, cleaned their catch once we made camp, mucked out the boat, refilled the fuel tank, and I'm going to have a beer. "What's that? I have to FOLD LAUNDRY? At NINE O'CLOCK AT NIGHT? But I need my beauty sleep.........."

Guides and other folks at those resorts earn every last penny of their pay, and especially their tips!

JMOYMV

Doug
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

I would sign up for that job in a second, unfortunately my wife is not interested.
David
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

A close buddy of mine found himself out of work after over 20 years at a company (they up and moved to Mexico). He's taken on a few different gigs like that one and has settled in nicely at a lodge near Kenora. He plans to stay there and move his family there asap. He says its back breaking work but fun work and the money is OK. 12-14 hours days 7 days a week, and never just in a boat.

The one thing he stresses about these gigs is just because you can catch a fish here and there on your own doesn't mean you can be a guide. It's a whole different ball of wax and one that is a challenge to be great at.

Had lunch with another local guide last week sharing a few stories over some wings. We came to the conclusion that as a guide you are many things. Educator, Doctor, Psychologist, Storyteller, Photographer, Comedian, Actor, Historian, part time fish Biologist and last of all Fish Seeker. Not easy and not everyone has that type of personality.

I know another fella who's recently taken a gig in that area guiding, he's going to do great as his demeanor and willing to share and help others is right on par with being a successful guide. I'll let him make that public at his leisure.

RJ
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Super wrote:I would sign up for that job in a second, unfortunately my wife is not interested.
David
:lol: :lol: :lol:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.