Canoe fishing

A Forum for those who prefer the lighter side of boating. Canoes and Kayaks are becoming more and more popular. Let's talk about them!
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Canoe fishing

Post by joco01 »

Tons of great options for canoe fishing

You have low budget to get on water,,,,,get a canoe! Can get a used one trully low price,,and can go all ovef,,no need for boat launch,,,,gas oil,,,insurance boat launch fee etc etc

Great way to spend time on water
At low cost,,

Just do a bit of homework,,,,,some canoe are better then others wen it come for dishing!

Some ex off good canoe fishing

http://bassjunkiesfishingaddiction.blog ... -from.html
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oneotHACWas
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GDJ6saUMSg
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Canoe fishing

Post by joco01 »

If your one of those that cant go fishing without having a doz rods lol
https://www.google.ca/search?q=canoe+fi ... B600%3B800

I still onws my kayks and canoes,,,love my hybrids the best

But if i had one choice,,,,,,a canoe!
Then an hybrid
Then a yak

Sure a sot is safer

But a canoe
Room to move
Room to being stuff
Being a friend a dog a cooler etc etc
Can get a canoe trully not expensive
reboot
Participant
Participant

Post by reboot »

joco01 wrote:If your one of those that cant go fishing without having a doz rods lol
https://www.google.ca/search?q=canoe+fi ... B600%3B800
Saw that picture and couldn't help but laugh... I fish from shore and can't seem to go without always bringing at least 3 rods with me....
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

Hi joco!
Haven't posted in a while, but I can relate to this thread!

I got my canoe a few years ago.... then started adding gear, without any permanent modifications to the canoe. I've added a motor mount (it is not a flatback canoe) and have an electric motor I use and also lug one of those Nautilus power packs from Canadian Tire to run it.

For rods, they mostly stand up straight (rod holders mounted to the sides of a milk crate).... and mostly that's not too much of an inconvenience.

What I'm struggling with is comfort (fairly tall and there's not too many options for leg room) and stability. With the motor mount being right behind me, the weight of the motor then out to the side of the canoe, and having to twist my body to adjust the throttle.... well, it doesn't feel all that natural.... or safe for that matter. The weight is to the side, I'm twisting to adjust the throttle, and then depending on speed/direction of the prop, it creates even more instability.

In any case, I've done some reading and am now considering what modifications I need to do to make it safer. The motor itself might be too tall (i.e. with the prop 6" into the water, the throttle is still up pretty high), and I might consider mounting the motor right to the canoe (couple of pieces of wood to protect it). Not sure what else.... maybe some side floats.

I'll probably be able to tolerate leg discomfort better if I feel a little bit more stable when I need to shift positions!

8)
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Also a huge fan of canoe fishing. I do most of my fishing out of my Grumman canoe. It's not fun to portage but can take a beating and is a great fishing canoe. I'm in the process of planning my canoe trips for the summer, I can't wait. The only problem I have with it is that catching big pike and muskie is much more of a hassle than on shore or in a larger boat. Do any of you guys have any advice about DIY rod holders for canoes?
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

That is how I started. Fishing out of a canoe was very enjoyable.
Brings you closer to a lot of water that you can't access with a large motorized boat.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

I switch back and forth, currently this season I will be exploring with my canoe again. And as StarTZar mentioned you can sneak into really great holding spots. And of course a quiet paddle allows you to take in nature so much better than a prop!

I too am a little long in the legs, and sitting in a such a position for oh 6-8 hours sucks, as I get longer in the tooth. So much so I have started to stand up more while casting and even paddling.

I am not suggesting this by any means, as it could equate to an expensive tip
Over with equipment loss or the damn ball and chain cell phone damage. Or worst loss of life.

Yet I find it allows me to get a different position for a bit.

This year I will be sorting out a solution for better seating!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (398.72 KiB) Viewed 9392 times
Last edited by Kerrazy on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Lenny wrote:Do any of you guys have any advice about DIY rod holders for canoes?
Simple one is a piece of pvc pipe and a milk crate. http://www.ehow.com/how_6064682_homemad ... lders.html

Not diy Lenny but these sure do look nice. Dam- boat rod holder.
rod holder.jpg
rod holder.jpg (4.69 KiB) Viewed 9394 times
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

Hi - I've been fishing for a few years now from a canoe, with varying degrees of success. But whether I catch fish or not, its always great to get out for a paddle. I bought a 16' cedar strip prospector off a guy a couple of years ago who built it, and it is a beautiful boat and handles really well.

I use a portable Hummingbird fishfinder and sometimes Scotty rod holders and brackets, but the one thing I wouldn't be without on bigger water is my drift sock. It allows me to stick on a spot relatively well, even in wind and chop. I was actually out on the Ottawa river at Driftwood last summer with my two little girls, and we were able to fish even though it was windy and rough. The drift sock deployed from the stern pulls the canoe perpendicular to the waves, and the waves simply roll along the length of the canoe, rather than rocking the boat. We even had a couple of crests roll into the boat, but for the most part we stayed high and dry.

When I fish solo, or with my two girls, I turn the canoe around and paddle backwards. And by placing a camping cube full of water under the front seat, I am able to trim the canoe well, despite the fact that I outweigh the girls by a significant amount.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

@houner - great idea with the ballast under the front seat - have to try that, also the drift sock....

I'm a back lake trout guy, so I fish almost exclusively from a canoe. I have a friend that owns a nice 16.5' kevlar tripper so the portages are a dream as the boat is so light.

We always prepare for mishaps by using dry sacs to keep our wallets, electronics, keys etc and tie it off to the yoke. Also we bring a 10x12 tarp in case we get caught in a storm.

When we fish we sit facing each other with one guy paddling. We'll switch every so often so we each get the same amount of 'worry-free' fishing in. On a small, calm lake one firm paddle stroke really moves the canoe along at a good trolling speed.

Need to get my hands on a good fishfinder. My ancient humminbird (130 I think) just gave up the ghost after years of questionable use. PM me if you have an older model you'd like to get rid of!
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

When trolling I just use 2 small wood clamps. One on each side of the canoe. Clamp 'em onto the gunnels and lay your rod down so it won't get pulled in when you get a hit. it's then close and easy to pick up to land the fish.

Here's a pic, but you get the idea.

Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

I second the great idea of a drift sock. D'oh so simple. Heading to find one today!

I also use my pliers as a rod holder of sorts. Just set them nose first in a hole and voila. Also right where you need me for hook retrieval.
Kerrazy

Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

I bought my drift sock at Lebaron's. It is the smallest size, and I think it was around $40. Like I said, I find it really indispensable when fishing in wind or waves. Whenever we cruise over a school of fish, or some particularly fishy looking structure, we simply deploy the sock and give it a more thorough going over. Also funny when I don't tell my buddy the sock is out and he's trying to paddle. It's like pulling a buick.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Houner wrote:I bought my drift sock at Lebaron's. It is the smallest size, and I think it was around $40. Like I said, I find it really indispensable when fishing in wind or waves. Whenever we cruise over a school of fish, or some particularly fishy looking structure, we simply deploy the sock and give it a more thorough going over. Also funny when I don't tell my buddy the sock is out and he's trying to paddle. It's like pulling a buick.
Ha! That will be me.
Kerrazy

joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Hahah pulling abuick,,thats funny :lol:

Drift socks is good wen a bit windy,,to stay in place,,,or a simple bucket with hole in the bottom or a IKA blue bag wirks to.

Kayak fishing is a hype now,,,but canoes will always be there,,,,,more space more versatile...bring the dog brind tons of stuff,,,,having own more then a doz yaks and a doz canoe and still own almaot that :oops: :lol: ,,,i still like more canoe or hybrid,,for my needs.

My SOT yaks stay dry my hybrid out way more.

And now you can get some stabiliser at sail for not to expensive,,so if stability is your probnin a canoe,,with a pair of those you dance in it. And you can get used canow at low price.

And you can rig a canoe the same as a yak no prob at all,,,its ecen easyerfir siting,,more choice.

Keep paddling
Joco