Kars is open!

A Forum for those who prefer the lighter side of boating. Canoes and Kayaks are becoming more and more popular. Let's talk about them!
DrB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Kars is open!

Post by DrB »

Hi guys,

I know I posted asking for advice on open water and added a line if someone wanted to come along. I apologize for not replying to the PM but I didn't want to setup a group of people only to get to a spot that still has ice. So I decided to venture out by myself. But first I made a "quick" stop to Jenda Paddlesports in Osgoode. Let me tell you, I have never been there before and Jason -the owner- is super nice and good to talk to. For all your kayak needs I suggest you pay him a visit. He has TONS of gear and his prices are pretty competitive.

After leaving the store I was debating whether to fish James Bay or Kars on the Rideau.... hmmmmm ... winds picked up like crazy! and they were creating some chop whit white caps as I was driving through James Bay. So that made my decision even easier: Kars it is!

So I decided to pull by the Marina and launched at the little creek that empties in the Rideau River. In fact, I never left that place since the wind was too strong for my Coosa HD to handle. Thank god for my YakAttack Park'N'Pole which kept me in place the whole time.

Fished for a couple of hours and caught my limit of crappies. All in all it was good day on the water. I even got a tan!

Hopefully next time Crappie Bay on the Ottawa River is open so we can organize a little get-together.

See y'all on the water!
Roberto "DrB" Briones
http://drboutdoors.wordpress.com
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter: @DrBOutdoors
http://www.kaao.ca
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Kars is open!

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
OutdoorActionOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Ottawa Region, Georgian Bay region, Kawartha Lakes Region

Post by OutdoorActionOntario »

Lookin' good there bud. Let's see if the weather cooperates this week and maybe we can hit up the Ottawa next weekend if you are up for it.

Cheers

~OAO~
OutdoorActionOntario - Ottawa ON
DrB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DrB »

Crappie Bay was closed according to Ozile's. That's why I hit Kars. But yesterday I walked by the river at the en of Champlain Dr. (across form Place d'Orleans) and came up to a bay (thawed out) that seems promising. Very easy to get kayaks in.

Cheers!
Roberto "DrB" Briones
http://drboutdoors.wordpress.com
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter: @DrBOutdoors
http://www.kaao.ca
stopper35
Participant
Participant

Post by stopper35 »

Dropped a line in Stevens Creek near the ball field in Kars today to see if I could catch a crappie or two (first time trying for them). It was a bit cold and not very success thought there is an average sized pike in there that has a pretty good wound on it's side. There must be something big lurking down in the deeps lol. Anyway, was good to throw a few casts.

Looking forward to heading up that creek in the kayak. Can anyone comment on whether or not there are fish between there and North Gower or just a decent paddling?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

stopper35 wrote:Dropped a line in Stevens Creek near the ball field in Kars today to see if I could catch a crappie or two
Once the spawning run is on under the bridge can be good off shore but I've never been on the water. Early in the season like now it's not unusual for the crappie to move in from the river only in the last half hour of the day.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter