Tips and tricks.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Tips and tricks.

Post by Kerrazy »

Hey y'all,
I am sure some if not all have had to deal with a soft bait reaction to hard lures or storage boxes.

Not truly sure what causes it, as it does not always occur, yet when it does it is a gooey mess that can see great lures get wrecked.

Having recently experienced this, I broke out the WD-40 and was able to safely save my lures.

If any one else has a trick and tip, or a better way, regarding fishing tackle, maintaining ,repurposing or other, please feel free to share it.

Cheers,
Last edited by Kerrazy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Tips and tricks:Cleaning lures after soft bait reaction.

Post by theDL »

I have seen some plastics melt into a gooey mess, not sure what causes it either. I have started keeping those little silica get packs you get with electronics, shoes, etc in my tackle trays and have seen a dramatic decrease in rusty hooks and gooey messes. I also try to not put lures away wet or with any kind of gulp plastic on them.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

great idea, and useful for electronics in tackle boxes too... I always carry my GPS in my tackle box, as a back up so I can mark my latest and greatest honey hole.
Kerrazy

Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I keep the plastics away from hard lures.. 1 box is all plastics 1 box all hard lures.

Also when I run out of baits and buy new ones, I clean the box out and restock.
I clean the box because certain oils and salts do not mix well with others which is why you're left with a ugly mess.

I've got tubes that destroyed a regular plano box, I got the thicker box, the waterproof ones, that isn't happening again :wink:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Bondy baits will "bond" to your tacklebox in time and conditions.

Pack each one separate or, throw 'em in a Ziploc. Same could be said for any soft plastics with decomposing issues. :lol:
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Tips and tricks.

Post by TheMaverick »

Do not mix any plastics with « Elaztech » properties with other plastics. Stirke King 3X comes to mind.
They make for a chemical reaction and melt very quickly.
I wouldn’t put them next to hard baits either, better off keeping them in the original packaging.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

I keep all my plastics in the original package and then organize them by style/type in extra large ziploc bags. These stay in my boat storage compartment all season. No gooey mess and easy access.

I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I bought a Shimano plastics bag and have them sorted similarly. While I can understand the reasoning for using trays for plastics, I prefer to leave them in the original packaging as well.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

I too have a bag for plastics, yet, As I typically fish with my kids and my friends, I often share my gear, which means I need to change their crap every 3 casts (frickin' brick in' razza sassafras) so in order for me to get any cast in I typically toss their cast offs on the top of my tackle box, so I can try and get a few casts before they want a 'better' lure.

And that's where it all goes wrong. I get sidetracked hurding cats and my tackle pays the price.
Kerrazy

tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

lol kerrazy I have that problem too, friend of mine snags more often than anyone I have ever seen!!! Always tying new rigs on for her, so I simplified and now she throws a red and white bobber with a jighead on the working end. Rarely snags and when she does its just one knot and jighead to tie on again.