Clyde River

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
OneLastRelease
Participant
Participant

Clyde River

Post by OneLastRelease »

I'm new to the fly fishing world and looking for some new spots to explore. I've been eyeing up CLYDE RIVER around the Herrons Mills area. I like to wade in creeks and little rivers and explore. Not to worried about what i catch, last weekend i fished cisco's and got the odd (small small) small mouth bass. Has any one been to that area before? Thanks
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Clyde River

Post by Todd B. »

That particular stretch of the Clyde is a warm water fishery and from what I recall it is predominantly slow moving with a soft bottom. Give the Mississippi a try at Blakeney or above the dam at Appleton for SM.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
OneLastRelease
Participant
Participant

Post by OneLastRelease »

Ok thanks, I'll try to search those area on google maps to find them. Not from the area but was looking for somewhere to try this weekend. No areas to wade in the Cornwall area where I live.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Good spot in Carleton Place too where Mcneely Ave crosses the Miss. It's a popular spot for fly fishermen, but I haven't noticed as many this year.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Post by Trout_83 »

If you dont mind crossing the border then head south into upper NY state...lots of places to fly fish for trout. Also, if you are ever up near tremblant then try the Diablo river. There's a fly fishing only stretch managed by a club (catch and release).
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
OneLastRelease
Participant
Participant

Post by OneLastRelease »

I don't have a pass port right now, but ill look into mont trembling for sure. The wife and i are going to be camping at Pauk's Creek campground this weekend and were look for some places i can fish and spots to explore.
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Post by Trout_83 »

2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

OneLastRelease wrote:I don't have a pass port right now, but ill look into mont trembling for sure. The wife and i are going to be camping at Pauk's Creek campground this weekend and were look for some places i can fish and spots to explore.

Ah Pauls Creek. A nice spot for sure. You are within 15 minutes of a few great spots for bass. Lanark is a really good spot and there is a nice little spot at the end of Clarence Street. I always stop and throw a few casts in when I am out that way for an appointment. You can also go up Fallbrooke Rd and try a few of the spots right along that roadway too. Or you have dalhousie Lake and a few nice spots from shore in that place. Go down Watsons Corner Rd and when you get to the bridge fish that area.

Good luck and cheers.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

If you live in Cornwall get your passport. The fly fishing and camping opportunities in the Adirondacks whether it is bass, trout in streams or lakes exceeds anything in Eastern Ontario and it is inexpensive. Have a look at Fish Creek and Rollins Pond camping areas and nearby St. Regis Canoe Area. All are about an hour south of Cornwall.
OneLastRelease
Participant
Participant

Post by OneLastRelease »

Ya I hear of lots of spots in the states not far from me. We just moved her 5 years ago for my wife's work and we went over about 5 times and it was hell lol. Neither one of us has ever had any issues with the law before, and going across was like we were wanted or something. Maybe cud were young and have lots of tattoos but being questioned for over 30 minutes every time made us not what to go back again lol. Maybe I'll try again one day to do some fishing.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Clyde is a great place to explore and offers some great fishing closer to where the rivers originates up near Joes Lake. I caught my PB inland rainbow trout on the Clyde and have seen two decent browns. Some big feisty smallmouth inhabit the system as well, I caught many in the 3 1/2lbs. You really have to do some major bushwacking to access the better pools for bass. Best spots were always where cold water springs dumped into the river. The bugs were the only thing that's kept me from going back :shock: :D
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

I see cornwall area

Could try for good size carp in long sault area,,,on the fly! FUN 8)

Or few area in casselman down the dam or in chrysler,,both place i see guy fly fishing, Or even in down town alexandria in that small lake,,frome ahore,or float tube for tons of pikes.

Joco
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

OneLastRelease wrote:Ya I hear of lots of spots in the states not far from me. We just moved her 5 years ago for my wife's work and we went over about 5 times and it was hell lol. Neither one of us has ever had any issues with the law before, and going across was like we were wanted or something. Maybe cud were young and have lots of tattoos but being questioned for over 30 minutes every time made us not what to go back again lol. Maybe I'll try again one day to do some fishing.
I hear that from people and can't figure out why. In almost 40 years of crossing the border to fish (not shopping) which would account for at least 1,000 crossings I have only been detained once and that was because the guy I was with was carrying $1000.

I have been stopped by the police twice for speeding and both times let go. I was checked once by a game warden. Never had a car broken into or anything stolen nor have I ever been threatened by anyone. I have only met friendly courteous people on stream or lake.

Now Quebec on the other hand. I have had some really bad times there.

Regarding Quebec a very good place near you for trout and bass would be the Chateauguay River near the NY border.
pinerider
Participant
Participant

Post by pinerider »

My son and I fished at Herron Mills Saturday morning, a very nice spot! We caught some fallfish (didn't know what they were), some bass ( a few were about 1.5 pounds) and my son caught an 18" sucker! Very scenic, a nice morning on the rivers. We'd tried the Mississippi at Playfairville earlier (also scenic but no fish) and caught some bass at a couple of spots on the Tay River.

Some trout would have been nice, we'll head north closer to Flower Station next time!
alexb
Participant
Participant

Post by alexb »

ganman wrote:If you live in Cornwall get your passport. The fly fishing and camping opportunities in the Adirondacks whether it is bass, trout in streams or lakes exceeds anything in Eastern Ontario and it is inexpensive. Have a look at Fish Creek and Rollins Pond camping areas and nearby St. Regis Canoe Area. All are about an hour south of Cornwall.
I checked it out on the web and Fish Creek and Rollins Pond have a lot to offer. The season for trout closes October 15. Wife and I will plan a trip there in 2017 for fishing we don't camp. Thanks ganman. :D
There are those who Fish and those who just DISTURB THE WATER