Fur 2015

Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Fur 2015

Post by Markus »

Today is the opening day for trapping coyotes and fox, so we're switching gears. We've been having a lot of coyote activity around the camp his summer. I think we have a couple liters running around. All the deer sites have small coyotes visiting frequently.

Tim and dug out and set 7 dirt hole sets in 2 hot spots that we've been seeing a lot of sign. We baited the holes with bear liver & deer hide and we added a spot of fox gland to the rock.

Hopefully we pick up a coyote or two by sunday.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Fur 2015

Post by ShawnD »

How big do they get Markus?
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Shawn, we weigh all our coyotes. Most mature ones are in the 30-40lb range. Young ones are always 20-25lbs. A big one is 50lbs+. Our biggest last year was 54lbs. I hear a lot of talk of 60 and even 70lb yotes, but my guess is they've seen a scale.

I ran my sets this morning and no fresh sign of coyotes at all. I did have one catch....a huge boar coon. I remade the set and headed back to the camp for a coffee and skun the coon out.

ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Wow,
Coyote meat and Raccoon meat, do you eat that?
Also, how do you keep the skins from drying up, I've read about several techniques.

They all sounded like a lot of work. Mashing up grey matter rubbing it into the hide.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I dont eat either. but the dozen eagles i feed do. lol

After I skin then out, then i flesh the hide, then it's boarded and hung to dry. Once it's dry, I ship them to market. It is a lot of work, and current prices arent all that great. We need to trap our area for conservation reasons and i really enjoy it too.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I havent put too much gear out because i need to fly out to ontario tomorrow for some meetings and i'll have to snap my line tomorrow. I'll get more sets out when i get home.

The 7 dirt holes i made up near the camp have been tough to keep working because of the down pours we've had. I freshened them up today and picked up a 2nd raccoon. I got both coons put up this afternoon.

Coons arent quite prime yet and should improve over the next couple weeks. Be nice to pick up a coyote in the morning before snapping the line for a couple days.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Markus wrote:and i'll have to snap my line tomorrow
I think it's great to have a trapper posting. Tks for sharing

So if I have this right, this means you will release all of your hole traps, leave the baits behind and then cover the hole. Then when you return you will reset and freshen all the traps. How many sets total do you expect to run this winter?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I'll just snap the trap and toss it behind the dirt hole. Coyotes my still work the set, i'll just rebait when i get back.

This year...I'd like to get 30 dirt holes out and concentrate on them before the freeze up. Come Nov 1st, we'll get 50-75 sets out in the water for beaver, mink and muskrat. I'll likely run 20 sets for coons in random places we're working other sets. Once snaring season opens in late Nov, we'll build a dozen snare pens for bobcat, coyote, fox. And we'll set out about 250 snares on fence lines for coyote and fox at the farms we've agreed to work this year.

Cant wait to get more gear out.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Cool. Good to see a healthy population of animals. Most likely in part a result of hunting and trapping. Way too many people are misinformed about hunting and trapping.
PS... Put some wheels on those coon boards and you'd have a Tony Hawk Halloween costume.:-)
pmasson
Participant
Participant

Post by pmasson »

hey nice job with cleaning those hides... where you from?

I'm in Ottawa area, have cleaned a few hides, but would really like to learn more to do a better job.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

pmasson wrote:hey nice job with cleaning those hides... where you from?
pmasson, I'm from NS. I spend a couple months in St Catharines in the spring s well.

I just got home from ON last night and I had a catch waiting for me. I snapped the line up by my camp, but a left 3 sets at a farmers place set. He called me yesterday and I had a coyote in one. I grabbed it when I got home. Smallest yote i've ever caught....13lb male. This years pup. I have it ready to board and its so small, it may have to go on a fox board.

I checked a few cams around the camp and I'm seeing a few dogs. I have the sets all working again, so hopefully i pick up a couple quick ones.

pmasson
Participant
Participant

Post by pmasson »

very nice....

do you sell your hides? just wondering, I'm aboriginal and would love one or two if you give them away ( no disrespect ).
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

All mine got to market. I usually send them to NAFA, but I may try a few at Fur Harvesters this year.
pmasson
Participant
Participant

Post by pmasson »

do you mind me asking what you charge for the different hides?

you can email me at petermasson@rogers.com
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Not at all. I dont tan them. Just flesh and dry them for market.

I do sell some to friends for personal use.

Raccoon - $15
Fox - $35
Coyote - $75
Bobcat - $200
Weasel - $5
Beaver - $40
Muskrat - $10
Mink - $25
Bear - $125-$250
Skunk - $15
Fisher - $150
Red Squirrel - $1