Canoe fishing

A Forum for those who prefer the lighter side of boating. Canoes and Kayaks are becoming more and more popular. Let's talk about them!
pinerider
Participant
Participant

Re: Canoe fishing

Post by pinerider »

I enjoy canoe fishing on a lake as well as creeks & rivers, as others have said, it's always nice to get out for a paddle. I have 2 aluminum fishing boats with 9.9 & 55 hp motors, if I'm going by myself, the power boats stay at the dock!

I really prefer my Gloucester Gull rowing dory, it's faster than a kayak, more room inside than a canoe! I occasionally stand up fishing in both, but don't know what would happen if I managed to catch something big while standing, haven't had to worry about that yet!

Here's a pic of the dory, hope to try it out as a drift boat for some river fishing next year!
P1000453.JPG
P1000453.JPG (5.07 MiB) Viewed 4745 times
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

Beautiful rowing dory Pinerider. Did you make that yourself?
pinerider
Participant
Participant

Post by pinerider »

Thanks! No I didn't build it, but I'd like to build one this winter! This one was about 6 years old when I bought it a coupla years ago, I bought it for less than half the price of materials!
it\s a great boat, rows almost as fast as a rowing shell, is great in wind and rough water too!

I call it oarobic fishing!!! :D
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Wow. Very nice vessel!

Floathing down a small river in one like this must be a superb experience,

Dont forget to post more picts wen uou do :wink:

Joco
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

A huge thanks for all those response about canoe fishing,

Reading those. I simply love it!

Great response by the way........stuff that make me dreams,

Joco,,,,,, 8)
pinerider
Participant
Participant

Post by pinerider »

Canoe fishing at night - it is difficult to fasten proper running lights to canoes, so most people don't. There is a solution for you at Home Depot! They call them bike lights, there are 4 in a package for $6 or so... There are red, green, blue and white LED lights with a flexible loop that will attach to a paddle handle. Put a Red one (port side) and a Green one (starboard side) on a paddle leaning out over the bow (put some tape on the stern facing light on each) and a white one on the other paddle leaning over the stern. Voila, almost proper running lights, way better than nothing or a red flashing light!