Firearm Discharge Maps - Ottawa

scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Firearm Discharge Maps - Ottawa

Post by scarkner »

As many of us know, due to a fraudulent report from a Barrhaven resident about finding a bullet hole in their home... the city has undertaken a review of all firearm discharge areas in Ottawa. One new map (south nepean) was approved over a year ago, but the city website continues to show the old maps. I have brought this to their attention a few times over the last year as it is misleading to hunters and could end with a hunter that has done their due-dilligence, being charged with illegal discharge of a firearm due to out-of-date information on the city's own website.

Well, I am happy to let you know that, although the published maps are still wrong... the city HAS updated their Geomapping software. It is EXCELLENT!

You can go to the geomap page and click on "other layers". You then click on "Miscellaneous", then "Bylaws" then "firearms". Yeah... it's really burried down deep.

The map will then light up the discharge permitted areas. You can enter the address that you want to hunt and get a really nice clean printout with the absolute latest up to date information (the Rural Affairs office stressed to me that geo-ottawa is kept up to date).

To help you out i will post a link below AND a screen shot of what you will see with the right layers turned on.

I hope you find this useful and that it helps keep us all legal as turkey season is around the corner!

http://maps.ottawa.ca/geoOttawa/

Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Firearm Discharge Maps - Ottawa

Post by Jul0682 »

That's a really nice Web site and thanks for the good info.. a good thing for sure that their revisited they laws after that incident. .

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Jul0682 wrote:That's a really nice Web site and thanks for the good info.. a good thing for sure that their revisited they laws after that incident. .

Cheers
Except that it was faked (many people pointed out that the bullet was not at all deformed, the hole in the wall was clean, etc. etc. etc.). The news story was rapidly dropped, but the city acknowledged, and I agree, that the maps did need to be updated given all the developments going in. Just too bad that it took an unstable individual making up a story in order to get some movement on it.

But i don't want to hijak my own thread :D :D :D
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

That sounds all very nice, but.

When I go there and try it. it says no regions found.

Is it because I use a Mac?
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

scarkner wrote:
Jul0682 wrote:That's a really nice Web site and thanks for the good info.. a good thing for sure that their revisited they laws after that incident. .

Cheers
Except that it was faked (many people pointed out that the bullet was not at all deformed, the hole in the wall was clean, etc. etc. etc.). The news story was rapidly dropped, but the city acknowledged, and I agree, that the maps did need to be updated given all the developments going in. Just too bad that it took an unstable individual making up a story in order to get some movement on it.

But i don't want to hijak my own thread :D :D :D
Wow that's amazing to hear how far someone would go to get on TV and so on.. didn't know that it was all fake but still pretty ridicules. . Lol wow
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Maple wrote:That sounds all very nice, but.

When I go there and try it. it says no regions found.

Is it because I use a Mac?
Shouldn't matter what OS you use, you're just interacting with a website. Make sure you have all the boxes ticked down the hierarchy from misc. on down as I found out when It didn't work at first even though I had checked off firearms.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Yeah, checking all the boxes confused me too, that's why i posted the screen shot.
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Thanks scarkner. It did work this time. I'll have to pay close attention.

I think this is an appropriate thread to include another piece of info, since "fakery" was mentioned re the bullet hole comment.

Some of you may know that the Marlborough Forest, which is the huge swath of public land south and west of Richmond is now closed to target shooting. It is included in the discharge of firearms allowed region of the city, so you can hunt there.

However. Last year, a neighbour in the area complained that target shooters were bringing sofas, fridges, old drywall, garbage bags full of garbage etc. to use as targets. This argument was bought by an un-informed city arborist, who noted holes in some trees, and the city closed the whole area to plinking.

Now, who do you think would dump trash like that in an out-of-the-way location? Target shooters, or lazy neighbours to close to bother going to the city dump? Sounds like midnight dumpers to me. Granted some moron did put a bullet hole in a sign, but I would bet most shooters cleaned up shell casings just fine, except for the uneducated few.

As of yet, no opposing position has been registered at the city, so they think it's just fine. I pay taxes. My comment has been sent.