St Lawrence Cornwall Area

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

St Lawrence Cornwall Area

Post by kevinv »

Has anyone done Fly Fishing near Cornwall on the St Lawrence river?

I have not done fly in many years, but would like to try again. I have done it on Carson Lake, without much luck. Also tried it on the Bonnechere river near the Tramore bridge. Few bites there. Thanks
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Re: St Lawrence Cornwall Area

Post by swampsinger »

I tried along the parkway for the first time, about 5/6 weeks ago and only caught a few small ones. I was trying to target smallmouth bass,here comes the excuse, I believe the smallies had moved out into deeper water. I couldn't wade or cast out far enough and my intermidiate line wouldn't get deep enough in the current. I've had a lot more success and fun on local rivers similar the Bonnechere. There must a lot of spots to try between the St Lawrence and the Bonnechere.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

swampsinger wrote:I tried along the parkway for the first time, about 5/6 weeks ago and only caught a few small ones. I was trying to target smallmouth bass,here comes the excuse, I believe the smallies had moved out into deeper water. I couldn't wade or cast out far enough and my intermidiate line wouldn't get deep enough in the current. I've had a lot more success and fun on local rivers similar the Bonnechere. There must a lot of spots to try between the St Lawrence and the Bonnechere.
I am thinking of the raisin river in the spring, when it runs nice. Right after the season opens on it. Got to get back out with the fly. Just something about you, the river and the fish....
Markgb98
Participant
Participant

Post by Markgb98 »

I fly fish down by the legion in cardinal have had success with wool buggers with a red or orange tail.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I have said it here before and don't mean to sound like a broken record but if you want to fly fish rivers especially if you live in the Cornwall area get yourself NY license. There are 3 rivers that flow into the St Lawrence at Massena, anywhere upstream there is great smallmouth fishing plus Muskie and walleye. Otherwise there are streamy sections of the Mississippi, Madawaska, Ottawa etc. here at home. Any River you find current you'll find smallmouth.