first float rod set up?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Cali009
Participant
Participant

first float rod set up?

Post by Cali009 »

Can i get some help?

i am looking oat getting my first float setup thinking very basic to start as i have fly gear.

i am looking at the Shimano Convergance baitcaster. so the real question is what reel? do i use can i get away with the Canen reel for the first trip?

reason for asking is this sunday Sept 24th. i am making the trip to Port hope.

any news on if sylvin glenn is worth the pit stop as well?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: first float rod set up?

Post by zippyfx »

You won't be getting any long drifts if too many people are out so like you said I would keep it very basic.
Cali009
Participant
Participant

Post by Cali009 »

thanks.. but do you think that rod set up would work? or is the reel not worth the time? I am bringing my 8wt Fly rod. but if i bring a friend or the wife. i was thinking it might be easier with that set up
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

I'm no proffesional myself but would go with a spinning real over a bait caster..the setups your tossing are so light you'll be getting Profesional overrun (birds nest) most guys throw spin cast with 8lb test and a bead swivel with flouro leader line.... rod should be fine
lebbesymosumi
Participant
Participant

Post by lebbesymosumi »

Float fishing is the most popular way of fishing around this area by far. Even the professionals float fish whether it be for live bait or just to fish.

Custom rubber stamps
Cali009
Participant
Participant

Post by Cali009 »

Dnbmike wrote:I'm no proffesional myself but would go with a spinning real over a bait caster..the setups your tossing are so light you'll be getting Profesional overrun (birds nest) most guys throw spin cast with 8lb test and a bead swivel with flouro leader line.... rod should be fine

agreed with the spin set up. i just have a canen sitting around unused with no line on it. i dont really want to remove line off one of my spinning rods that i just re-spooled 2 months ago.

So what line should i put on that canen; recomended test? brand? etc.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Cali009 wrote:
Dnbmike wrote:I'm no proffesional myself but would go with a spinning real over a bait caster..the setups your tossing are so light you'll be getting Profesional overrun (birds nest) most guys throw spin cast with 8lb test and a bead swivel with flouro leader line.... rod should be fine

agreed with the spin set up. i just have a canen sitting around unused with no line on it. i dont really want to remove line off one of my spinning rods that i just re-spooled 2 months ago.

So what line should i put on that canen; recomended test? brand? etc.

8lb mono to a 6lb fluro leader, I personally wouldn't go heavier then 10lb mono.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada