Rod and line advice

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Harpee61
Participant
Participant

Rod and line advice

Post by Harpee61 »

Hi there
Wit the season over I'm starting to think about some changes for next year. I fish from a kayak or canoe so I have to make do with two rods. I have a spinning combo for wacky and dropshotting and I'd like to spool it with fluro (I'm really not good at knots!) but the one line I tried, can't remember what it was, was too stiff. So whatwould you guys reccoemendl in the 6-8 lbs range?
My second rig is a bc with a Dobyns 734 FH for everything else but mostly spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, top water and small cranks. I like the rod but I have a broken St Croix that can get me some trade in value on a replacement so I'm thinking of treating myself to the best all around rod of theirs I could afford. Which particular rod or specs in their various ranges would give me the most versatility? Looking forward to your advice. Thanks
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Rod and line advice

Post by lape0019 »

For Fluorocarbon, I only use Sunline. I have tried more expensive lines as well as some cheaper ones and this seems to be the best within its price range. I personally use SniperFC but I do not know if I would ever use a full spool of it for this technique (For cranks, I do fill the spool with it). For dropshotting, I tied on a 10 or so foot piece before the hook and then however long I want my tag to be. My mainline is 20lb braid tied with a uni to uni knot to the flourcarbon. I did have issues with my knots when I first started using flouro and have found that lubrication is key when tying knots when using any fluorocarbon. If there isn't enough, the line will heat up and become weak.

If I was to use 100% flourcarbon, I would probably try Sunline Shooter instead of sniper. It gets really good reviews as a mainline as well as a leader from braid.

I actually use a 734 for a lot of the techniques you mentioned in your post. I use mono on that rod. Always have and it has always worked. And it is not anything special. I use Berkley Big Game in 15lb test. It's always worked so I haven't looked any further.

As for St. Croix, I have never used one of their rods so I cannot help you there.
Last edited by lape0019 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harpee61
Participant
Participant

Post by Harpee61 »

Thanks Lape. I realize line choice is a very personal issue but I'm curious to see what opinions I get. As to the mono I can't say that i thought of it for the various technniques. I have it with a Tatula spolled with 20lbs braid and a fluro 15lbs leader. What do you find are the advantages with mono?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Honestly, I think mono fell out of favour because there are so many options out there. It is really personal preference but for me, when you throw top water into the mix, using a fluorocarbon leader is counter productive. Flouro sinks and has less stretch than mono which can be a good thing for some techniques. Top water just isn't one of them.

Mono floats so it does not impeded the action of a topwater lure or in the case of a buzzbait, I feel it allows the bait to come to the surface quicker. I also like that little bit of extra stretch when using spinnerbaits as it gives you a little more time for the fish to inhale it before setting the hook.

I personally would not be throwing small cranks on the 734 as I find it a little too stiff for them. It will work in a pinch though.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

For line I personally prefer braid for almost everything, 40lb on lighter casting gear and 50lb for heavier and 10lb on spinning Once broken in you can cast a mile with it. its more sensitive, easier to tie knots, lasts longer, you can spool more, if you get a birds nest it's easier to pick out. don't have to worry about line memory, knicks, kinks or burning the line when tieing knots. don't get me wrong mono and fluoro has its place and advantages. for this reason i use mono and fluoro leaders. mono for top water and fluoro for jerkbaits and drop shot.
- Rick Ozga
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

As for your spinning combo, if you’re not comfortable with knots, and not looking to practice over the winter, you won’t be looking forward to tying a uni-to-uni knot utilized when using braid to fluoro leader.
Hence, I’d recommend you go with straight fluoro only, Sunline would also be my recommendation.
If going 6lbs, I don’t see stiffness being so much of an issue regardless of brand, if it is, line conditioner should help.

The 734 is an awesome rod, just not as good when it comes to anything with treble hooks.
You’d be better off with a composite rod for topwaters and cranks, you want that bend in your rod, especially if you’re going to be fishing while sitting down in a yak/canoe. A composite graphite blank comes to mind.
That bend is what will keep them hooked, your probabilities of keeping those treble hooks pinned in, as opposed to ripping them out with the 734, are much higher imo.

As for line, if you’re pulling double duty for both topwater and cranks, you can’t go wrong with mono for the above mentioned reasons, buoyance for topwaters, and added stretch for cranks. I would normally recommend fluoro for cranks, but seing as you’re limited in space and combos, mono is better suited for your needs.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I have only had one issue with stiffness related to 4-6 lb fluro. I was casting lights weights (1/64, 1/32, 1/16 jig and small tubes) on a short rod (5 ft). The stiffness in the fluro caused a multi-coil slip on the reel likley due in combination to forceful cast. For this setup I needed to move to a supple mono instead. Otherwise I have not had any stiffness issues with Fluro.

I have read about many crappy fisherman down south who just hate the stiffness of fluro. Again, generally a very specialized niche....
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Zippy,

That to me sounds like less to do with stiffness and more to do with line memory. Line conditioner will help with that but start off by using a quality line and the conditioner won't be needed as much.
Last edited by lape0019 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

When I purchased my new D/S combo the reel was spooled with fluorocarbon, this line was removed soon after and 10lb Sufix 832 was spooled up. I always use 4-6ft fluorocarbon leaders on this set-up, either 5lb or 7lb Sufix Invisiline Castable Fluorocarbon.

I have always considered fluorocarbon line as over rated, over hyped and over priced.

That being said, for leader I do carry various weights of fluorocarbon as well as mono to be used as conditions dictate. Fluorocarbon sinks, mono floats I use this to adjust the drop of my lure.

As for mono, I use 10lb Big Game on my square bill rod, 12lb. Big Game on my top water rod and 15lb. Big Game on my deep diver rod.

For all your questions about a new rod go to Paddletales and talk to Ed.

So you’re not very good at tying knots, whose fault is that? frankly I see no reason you can not become quite adept at tying several basic knots over the winter. There are several good sites out there for knots, as well as a wealth of information right here.

Good luck,
Drop
Dobyns Army member
Harpee61
Participant
Participant

Post by Harpee61 »

Thanks for the asvice guys. And yes Drop I realize I should work on my knots but is's a bit like maths for me: obviously useful but somewhat alien for me....but yes, I'll spend a few winter hours going throug my collection of knots links.
As to the line issue I'm getting more and more inclned to give mono a try next spring and I appreciate the reccomendations. I'm still eager to hear eccomendations on a rod, if not a specific St Croix than specs, for a good all around one. I'm thinking of 7'1" or so MH F or Mod, with the composite suggestion duly noted. There is several with that rpofile in the SC line up. Do those specs make sense? Again, much appreciated y'all. H
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Harpee61 wrote:I realize I should work on my knots but is's a bit like maths for me: obviously useful but somewhat alien for me....
:lol:
You make it sound like it's impossibly hard.
Grab some old line and practice, they're TONS of youtube videos with helpful tips like hand positioning etc..

practice , practice some more and practice!

IMO a 7' MH Shimano Crucials are great all around rods, though they are a little pricey... They're light, well balance and are made with quality components.
Go see them at Paddletales, Ed's got a rack full.

Last thing, line.. I like to use Braid with a fluro leader, which means there's another knot to learn.. ;)
I like to flip my braid and get a little more life out of it. Which saves me $

Good luck

Shawn D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Harpee61 wrote:Thanks for the asvice guys. And yes Drop I realize I should work on my knots but is's a bit like maths for me: obviously useful but somewhat alien for me....but yes, I'll spend a few winter hours going throug my collection of knots links.
As to the line issue I'm getting more and more inclned to give mono a try next spring and I appreciate the reccomendations. I'm still eager to hear eccomendations on a rod, if not a specific St Croix than specs, for a good all around one. I'm thinking of 7'1" or so MH F or Mod, with the composite suggestion duly noted. There is several with that rpofile in the SC line up. Do those specs make sense? Again, much appreciated y'all. H
You really only need 2 knots:
Terminal knot:
1. Palomar. Everything braid, plus well-lubricated fluoro or mono. This knot works.

Leader knot:
2. Alberto knot. Dead simple, and I've never broken one yet.

You've got 5 months minimum to practice. :)
Harpee61
Participant
Participant

Post by Harpee61 »

5 months! Man, that's a sentence....but it also gives me time to make the 90 mn drive to Ed's.
Thanks guys.
Pewit
Participant
Participant

Post by Pewit »

Hi! If you have good rings on your broken st croix left, I'd buy a decent Rainshadow blank and find a guy to put those rings on it. From my point of view Rainshadow blanks are the best you can buy here and it might appear to be even cheper than a new rod.

I'm afraid you might lose sensitivity if you cast with just fluo or mono.Try the Albright Special leader knot. I think I tested most of them and it appers to have the most strenght. The knot works perfectly with thin braids (I use 1.5PE + Yamatoyo 0.4mm fluo for heavy bottom gigs and 0.6PE + Orvis 0.25mm for light game).
BC FD
Participant
Participant

Post by BC FD »

Check http://www.netknots .com
It has lots of animation showing most popular knots and a lot most have probably never heard off.
It is a great resource.
I mostly use braid with Seagaur flouro leaders.
Double-uni knot between.
I bought a tool at Cabela's a few weeks ago. Helps in tying a number of knots(blood for one) and snells if you use them.
Just got back from Charlotte Harbor ,Florida where I started fishing about 5 or 6 years ago and had to learn to tie braid to flouro.
Teeth are a common feature in the salt water. I use 15 lb braid and either 25 0r 40 lb flouro.
We were out in the Gulf in March and something bit right through my 125 lb flouro. Have to go to steel on that rod I think.
Caught a 30" bonnet head shark on 40 lb flouro and the 15 lb braid.
Was in a new Wilderness ATAK 140 yak. Sharks make life a whole lot more entertaining in the yak as apposed to the 21' Mako CC I usually have down there.
Check the web site and good luck with your knots.
Mitch