Bear jerky??

qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Bear jerky??

Post by qcconnection »

I was fortunate enough to harvest my first black bear (there is a fall season in Quebec) and was considering making jerky.

I have read about trichinosis and cooking temps. I tried some of the bear meat and rather enjoyed it.

Anyone have experience making bear jerky? I`ve read some guys dehydrate it to the highest temp and then put it in an oven at 250 for like an hour to ensure no sign of trichinosis.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Bear jerky??

Post by scarkner »

I have not made bear jerky, but i have done other jerky where I use the oven method you describe, but I did it in reverse order. Oven first to bring the meat up to temperature without cooking it, then put it in the dehydrator.

I would think that bear is tough to make into jerky due to the high fat content so the oven may also help to remove some of the fat.

Generally though... I try to avoid using the oven for jerky, the end product isn't nearly as good.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Big congrats on your first bear. I bet you were pumped for that. :) Any pics/story? In my opinion it's great eating meat. Did you save the fat? Once rendered down to oil it's an amazing product with many uses including treating leather and making amazing pastry.
As for jerky I've never tried it with bear but with some nice lean cuts I can't see why it wouldn't work. I use a dehydrator for mine mostly but the smoker works as well. One thing for sure it makes great burgers and sausage.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

Thanks Smitty!!

I`m working overnights this weekend, and will post a pic heavy summary of the 2016 gun season with successes and failures!!