GPS Installation

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

GPS Installation

Post by Sensrookie »

I just recently purchased a Garmin Echomap CHIRP 75dv (010-01573-00) and would like to get it installed. I'm in the Ottawa South area and was hoping to find someone local. I called a local Marina but they quoted me a price of 3 hours at $105 hour. :roll: Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for good work but I thought that was a bit much. I have a 2013 16' Legend XCalibur that has a basic fish finder on it right now. It's parked in my garage and can be accessed easily. Does anyone have a contact that could do a good job and not charge an arm and a leg.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: GPS Installation

Post by CBB »

I have done a lot of installs and could help you out. Don't knock the business as their overhead is more than you can imagine with trying to operate a business. Give me a call and we can set something up as I am south of you out by Upper Canada.

613-537-9576

Jeff
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

CBB wrote:I have done a lot of installs and could help you out. Don't knock the business as their overhead is more than you can imagine with trying to operate a business. Give me a call and we can set something up as I am south of you out by Upper Canada.

613-537-9576

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I really do appreciate your offer and I'll give you a call tonight. I hope it didn't sound like I was trying to call-out the local marina, I just thought it was a bit much. I've never installed a GPS before but didn't think it would take three hours so I think I was more surprised than anything. I'm in there a couple times a year and they've always been good to me.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

If I am not mistaken the GPS receiver is built into the unit. So does this mean you are replacing the current unit on your boat or are adding this unit as well.

Having installed several sonars onto my boats, If you need to install the transducer, head unit cradle, power lines etc then yes it is a 3 hour job.

Especially if you are routing the transducer cable, and you do not have a string to pull it through the boat. You will be drilling holes into the console area for the cradle, and potentially into the transom.

Be sure to have drills, drill bits, marine grade silicon (to seal/waterproof holes, zip ties and patience.

300$ for installation may seem like a lot but it is not a simple job. It is a job that you can do by yourself.

If you need help PM me.
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

CN wrote:If I am not mistaken the GPS receiver is built into the unit. So does this mean you are replacing the current unit on your boat or are adding this unit as well.

Having installed several sonars onto my boats, If you need to install the transducer, head unit cradle, power lines etc then yes it is a 3 hour job.

Especially if you are routing the transducer cable, and you do not have a string to pull it through the boat. You will be drilling holes into the console area for the cradle, and potentially into the transom.

Be sure to have drills, drill bits, marine grade silicon (to seal/waterproof holes, zip ties and patience.

300$ for installation may seem like a lot but it is not a simple job. It is a job that you can do by yourself.

If you need help PM me.

Thanks for the offer to help. I talked to CBB last night and we should be able to get 'er done.

PS. Yes, I am replacing the current fish finder.
fordman
Participant
Participant

Post by fordman »

You came to the right place when looking for info. or a helping hand . You will have your boat ready for the trip to the Bay in the spring .
Sensrookie
Participant
Participant

Post by Sensrookie »

fordman wrote:You came to the right place when looking for info. or a helping hand . You will have your boat ready for the trip to the Bay in the spring .
A lot of knowledge comes through these forums. :ugeek:
Coxy
Participant
Participant

Post by Coxy »

Hey guys,
Further to Sensrookie question, I am looking for similar help. I just got a new graph for the bow I need some help with the electrical side of installation with. At 105 an hour at the shop it's a lot of money however I would be happy to throw some of that someone's way who can help with what I know isn't a complicated job. Appreciate any help!
Ian
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Coxy I could help you out with the install and not break the bank. Bring it and the boat out to my shop and we can get you setup in short order