Deep and Shallow Cranking - Two Different Rods? BASS

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Deep and Shallow Cranking - Two Different Rods? BASS

Post by cprince »

Deep and Shallow Cranking - Two Different Rods?

I am looking at rods and such for the coming season and I am getting to the crank rod part of my decision tree and I can't decide if I need a separate setup for a wake bait and a proper diving crank bait. I will have one setup for each application, just don't know if the rod should differ at all.

I am thinking 7' 0" to 7' "2 for both.

Maybe a medium for shallow/wake and a medium heavy for anything below 5' dive?

This is for bass BTW.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Deep and Shallow Cranking - Two Different Rods? BASS

Post by lape0019 »

Craig,

I pretty much use the same rod for most of my cranking and it has not hindered me at all. I base my decision more on the lure weight that the technique. I used a Dobyns Champion 764CBRM for pretty much anything from 0-15 feet at the moment.

Rod specs are as follows. Providing the info in case you are looking for a different brand.

8-14lb, 1/4- 3/4oz, Medium Mod-Fast Action

Now, I have recently purchased a second setup for deeper than 15' (between 7/8 - 1.5oz) and heavier wakes but I am assuming you do not plan on cranking in deeper water that 15' with these setups right?

I am sure having two setups would be beneficial but I don't think it is 100% required.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

lape0019 wrote:s but I am assuming you do not plan on cranking in deeper water that 15' with these setups right?

I am sure having two setups would be beneficial but I don't think it is 100% required.
100% correct. I think 15 would be the max. Not likely to crank down past that. I'll get accused of trolling for bass!

Craig
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Then you definitely could get away with one rod for the time being provided you stay within the weight ratings of the rod.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

Several years ago I decided to revisit crankbaits after not tossing them for many years. I decided it was time to purchase new rods, as well as bring my crankbait collection inyo the 21st cetury.
I wanted to fish deep divers as well as wakebaits. My first rod was a Dobyns Champion 805CB RM with a Revo inch. With this rod I can toss a 6th Sense Crush Mini25X or my Lucky Craft SKT Mag120. Needless to say the 805 is not the best at tossing the smaller baits, but will work.A year or two later I added a Dobyns Champion 764CB RM to the arsenal as my squarebill rod. Do you nrrd two rods? No. But it sure is niceto have rods, reels and line that are matched to the baits beigs tossed.

Hopefully this makes sense and the spelling isn’t butchered too bad.I had surgery on both eyes yesterday at Hotel Dieu. I have a patch on my right eye and things are a bit blurry in the left, but considering all Icould make out last night was light or dark, things are progressing I made coffee this morning, so life is good. I am writing this in documents on a font of 18 so I can see to write. I require a magnifying glass to read theposts and the cursor is a real SOB to find….LOL

Drop .
Dobyns Army member
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

DropShot’r wrote:
Hopefully this makes sense and the spelling isn’t butchered too bad.I had surgery on both eyes yesterday at Hotel Dieu. I have a patch on my right eye and things are a bit blurry in the left, but considering all Icould make out last night was light or dark, things are progressing I made coffee this morning, so life is good. I am writing this in documents on a font of 18 so I can see to write. I require a magnifying glass to read theposts and the cursor is a real SOB to find….LOL

Drop .

ATTABOY DROP!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

I'm not really a crank-bait expert but I know a guy :)

A longer, stouter rod will allow you to throw/control the larger crank baits. The length will also give you more casting distance on the deeper diving crank baits, giving your lure more time at the optimal depth. A lighter shorter rod will be better for throwing/controlling the lighter baits and also give you more accuracy.

The actual brand is more of a personal thing, I'm more of GLoomis guy but know a lot that also like the Dobyns crankbait rods.

Having one medium length/power rod will do the trick for most applications but if can have two .. well who says no to more gear!!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

DropShot’r wrote:Several years ago I decided to revisit crankbaits after not tossing them for many years. I decided it was time to purchase new rods, as well as bring my crankbait collection inyo the 21st cetury.
I wanted to fish deep divers as well as wakebaits. My first rod was a Dobyns Champion 805CB RM with a Revo inch. With this rod I can toss a 6th Sense Crush Mini25X or my Lucky Craft SKT Mag120. Needless to say the 805 is not the best at tossing the smaller baits, but will work.A year or two later I added a Dobyns Champion 764CB RM to the arsenal as my squarebill rod. Do you nrrd two rods? No. But it sure is niceto have rods, reels and line that are matched to the baits beigs tossed.

Drop .
Drop

great 1 -2 punch with those rods. I have both along with a few others.

I like to match up the weight of the lure with the rod. for example

dobyns 805 cb rm rated 3/4 - 1.5 oz. I use this for larger cranks (Manns minus 1) and deep divers, as they put a lot of strain on the rods and your arms.
dobyns 784 cb rm rated 1/4 - 3/4 use it on storm arashi shallow cranks

Then I have my second crankbait rod,
a fenwick elitetech 6.6 glass/carbon blend rod. Although rated for 1/4 to 5/8 I use it for all cranks less than 1/2 oz. I love this rod. It is the original elite tech rod, not like the current line up. It is 2 colour back and yellow. You don't set the hook with this rod. The fish hook themselves.

I also have:
Gloomis cbr 763 1/4 - 5/8. Don't use this one too much but use it for very light cranks (its for sale $125.00). This was the first gloomis I bought but I had no idea of how to throw or use crank baits. The only crank I had and threw at the time was a white big o.

Gloomis CBR Deep flex 896 1/2 - 1 oz. Just picked this up from ED at the wing ding spring thing sale. All I know is that plowjock keeps raving about his deep flex crank bait rod so at the price ED was selling it was a no brainer to pick up (and one can't have enough stuff).

The question is do you need this many rods? Not really but I would rather tie up three different lures on 3 different rods, rather than spend time re-rigging.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

There is NO QUESTION I will be having more rods in the boat than a normal person should. And there is no question that I will be using two different rigs for the Minus 1 and anything 5 FOW and deeper.

The only real question I had was more about the specs of the two rods, should they differ and how.

You guys all came through with a lot of game theory and personal experience that I love to read about!! I appreciate all the input.

What I am getting from this all it; How far I want to throw it will dictate length and how heavy the lure will dictate stiffness.

What about taper? Since the cranking action will likely set the hook rather than any sweeping action by the yo-yo holding the rod, I would assume tapper will not need to be "Fast" due to wanting more flex to be distributed the length of the rod?

@CN
$100 and I'll take it.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

IMO line choice alone is worth having more the one setup, being able to find tune your depth with line makes a huge difernce IMO. e.g running 20/25lb fluoro to give you the ability to fish a square bill shallower over grass.

This is a good video about rod tapers, he's talking about swimbait rods, but some of them essentially just giant crankbait rods. It'll give you a good idea about what to look for.

Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

cprince wrote:There is NO QUESTION I will be having more rods in the boat than a normal person should. And there is no question that I will be using two different rigs for the Minus 1 and anything 5 FOW and deeper.

The only real question I had was more about the specs of the two rods, should they differ and how.

You guys all came through with a lot of game theory and personal experience that I love to read about!! I appreciate all the input.

What I am getting from this all it; How far I want to throw it will dictate length and how heavy the lure will dictate stiffness.

What about taper? Since the cranking action will likely set the hook rather than any sweeping action by the yo-yo holding the rod, I would assume tapper will not need to be "Fast" due to wanting more flex to be distributed the length of the rod?

@CN
$100 and I'll take it.
Which is why all my crankbait rods are designed for crankbaits. (cprince pm sent)