Spring Perch - Meat Run

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Spring Perch - Meat Run

Post by Markus »

I fish for perch once a year...and i like targeting in the spring when they are schooled up deep. Watching the weather forecasts was like a countdown to xmas morning and it kept getting better and better. Myself and a good buddy launched his boat this morning and were greated with fantastic conditions at sunrise.

We went to work with drop shot rigs in 48 fow. I had picked up a new clicker for this specific trip and before I knew it, we were at our limit.

Nothing kept under 10 inches today and the largest was 14.5 inches. We likely only caught 25 or so that didnt meet our 10IN minumum.

Once we were off the water, we had a bit of knife work to do. It didnt take long for a pile of beautiful fillets to form with 2 of us going at it.

A couple piles were kept aside for fresh cook ups tonight and the rest were divided up into 20 fillets per package and frozen for summer fish fries.

Great day...and i'm looking forward to targeting the next fish on my grocery list. lol
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Re: Spring Perch - Meat Run

Post by Gord »

Beauty load of tasty treats dude!! :) :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Nice to see ya on the water Mark!!!!! A great pile of piggy perch, and conditions looked mint!

F.F
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Nice supply of perch for the home. Looks tasty.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

A beauty stack of fillets. They'll be tasty!

RJ
Bob23
Participant
Participant

Post by Bob23 »

Great stack of fillets indeed!
Where did you catch these?
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Lake Erie. We launched near crystal beach.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

ive got a question, i have been wondering about this kind of fishing for a while, how do you guys find fish suspended in deep water like this?? whether its perch, lake trout or small mouth how do you know where to start? is this a matter of just driving around with my electronics on or is it more something people have stumbled on in the past and passed along? i would much rather be out on my boat in the st.lawrence then jammed in shoulder to shoulder fishing for perch like last weekend
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

jshow89 wrote:ive got a question, i have been wondering about this kind of fishing for a while, how do you guys find fish suspended in deep water like this?? whether its perch, lake trout or small mouth how do you know where to start? is this a matter of just driving around with my electronics on or is it more something people have stumbled on in the past and passed along? i would much rather be out on my boat in the st.lawrence then jammed in shoulder to shoulder fishing for perch like last weekend
100% good electronics. And it's not only using them to find them, but using them to stay on them.
Msimard12
Participant
Participant

Post by Msimard12 »

What radar models are you guys using I've got an older hummingbird and always find it difficult to track or actually catch what I'm tracking, maybe it'd a matter of my radar or the methods I'm using to follow the fish.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I dont think my buddy has anything too high end on his boat....Hummingbird 597 I believe....most units work, ussually if it's not picking up properly, it just need to be dialed in with the manual settings.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Nice fillets pile. Those will be tasty.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Like Markus said, may be just a matter of dialling in the settings on your finder. I have also found, in my case where I have my transducer rigged up to easily remove and put on other boats, if my transducer angle isn't right I can't mark my jig after a certain depth but if I adjust the transducer I have no problem marking fish or my jig even in 100ft of water or more. Sometimes it's just a matter of understanding the cone from your transducer and ensuring it is going straight down to the bottom and not on an angle. I don't have a high end finder, just an older hummingbird and I can mark my jig and streaking lakers/other suspended fish like smallies.

Nice haul of Perch by the way Markus! Looks tastey and always look forward to your reports, whether its spring meat runs, fall hunts, kid hunts etc, all gold in my books!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Nothing like a nice pile o' perch. And...
That is a nice pile o' perch!! Yum
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Thanks guys!

Saw perch for sale in Zehrs....$22/lb. :shock: lol