Lund boat transom saver

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
TJO
Participant
Participant

Lund boat transom saver

Post by TJO »

I have a Lund 1875 Crossover with a Shorelandr trailer. I currently don't have a transom saver and I tilt the motor up and use the locking arm on the motor.Is anyone else with a similar model using one? Do I need one. Been 3 years without one but roads seem to be getting worse not better so has me concerned. I've done some online searching and its fifty fifty. I see no visible damage yet on transom or motor tilt mechanism.

Cheers Tom
Tom
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Lund boat transom saver

Post by River Monster »

I'm sure people never regret buying one, but will regret not using one. Its a cheap way to help protect your investment and offers piece of mind. You wouldn't have started the thread if you already were using one :lol: . Just my 2 cents
- Rick Ozga
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

I use one of these .. http://www.m-ywedge.com/ .. except I bought the Yamaha model.
I have a Yamaha 150 HDPI.
TJO
Participant
Participant

Post by TJO »

River Monster wrote:I'm sure people never regret buying one, but will regret not using one. Its a cheap way to help protect your investment and offers piece of mind. You wouldn't have started the thread if you already were using one :lol: . Just my 2 cents
Rick, Good point.

Tom
Tom
TJO
Participant
Participant

Post by TJO »

OntarioRider wrote:I use one of these .. http://www.m-ywedge.com/ .. except I bought the Yamaha model.
I have a Yamaha 150 HDPI.

OnartioRider, Yeah I looked at those and a couple of others and not sure how they protect transom. Defiantly see how they protect Hydraulics.

Cheers Tom
Tom
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

I think this is one of those situations where do what you feel comfortable with.

When I bought my motor support I searched for quite awhile looking at all the different opinions .. and there are lots. Many for transom savers and just as many against them. Some for the wedge of some sort and many against.
I figure if all the big boat makers felt it absolutely necessary to protect the transom they would build and sell one with their logo on it so they could charge 3x the cost and make a buck off it. Granted that would be admitting a shortcoming in their design .. I think they still would like to cash in.
My lund trailer rides like a Cadillac it seems and floats over bumps and when I see big holes or washboard I slow down so the impact is less .. drivers behind me may not like it but sucks to be them .. I am in front and it is my investment. ;-)
Smaller trailers with lighter boats seem to bounce like crazy so I would likely use something different.
TJO
Participant
Participant

Post by TJO »

OntarioRider wrote:I think this is one of those situations where do what you feel comfortable with.

When I bought my motor support I searched for quite awhile looking at all the different opinions .. and there are lots. Many for transom savers and just as many against them. Some for the wedge of some sort and many against.
I figure if all the big boat makers felt it absolutely necessary to protect the transom they would build and sell one with their logo on it so they could charge 3x the cost and make a buck off it. Granted that would be admitting a shortcoming in their design .. I think they still would like to cash in.
My lund trailer rides like a Cadillac it seems and floats over bumps and when I see big holes or washboard I slow down so the impact is less .. drivers behind me may not like it but sucks to be them .. I am in front and it is my investment. ;-)
Smaller trailers with lighter boats seem to bounce like crazy so I would likely use something different.
OntarioRider, Yes there are so many that say yes and just as many that say no. Thanks for the your time and opinion much appreciated.
Tom
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

No matter the design, they all seem to try and plant the weight of the motor on top of the transom by locking out any movement back and forth. I have one on my Bass tracker that came with the trailer. I think the reason it comes with the boat in my scenario is that the motor would drag on the ground if it was vertical and not tilted.

I am of the belief that if you can keep your motor vertical and do not have to tilt it on a boat like yours, you really don't need one.
Last edited by lape0019 on Wed May 03, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

We had started off with the wedges, better known as dildos, and upgraded to the Motor Mate.
I broke the Motor Mate (user’s fault), and we had decided to use the lock arm, which is built in on Evinrude motors, to trailer the boat around.
Didn’t take long until it broke off under the pressure, doesn’t help that our streets are very bad to start with.

Since then I’ve bought a second motor mate and it’s been serving me well for a year now.

You’re better safe than sorry, it’s a cheap investment that pays itself off.
If not the typical transom saver arm, get the cheaper dildos.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
TJO
Participant
Participant

Post by TJO »

lape0019 wrote:No matter the design, they all seem to try and plant the weight of the motor on top of the transom but locking out any movement back and forth. I have one on my Bass tracker that came with the trailer. I think the reason it comes with the boat in my scenario is that the motor would drag on the group if it was vertical and not tilted.

I am of the belief that if you can keep your motor vertical and do not have to tilt it on a boat like yours, you really don't need one.
Thanks for your in put. Should get some one to follow me and video had much it bounces. Get a better idea of the forces being applied while driving.

Cheers Tom
Tom
TJO
Participant
Participant

Post by TJO »

TheMaverick wrote:We had started off with the wedges, better known as dildos, and upgraded to the Motor Mate.
I broke the Motor Mate (user’s fault), and we had decided to use the lock arm, which is built in on Evinrude motors, to trailer the boat around.
Didn’t take long until it broke off under the pressure, doesn’t help that our streets are very bad to start with.

Since then I’ve bought a second motor mate and it’s been serving me well for a year now.

You’re better safe than sorry, it’s a cheap investment that pays itself off.
If not the typical transom saver arm, get the cheaper dildos.

Thanks for replying. They don't make a motor mate for my merc 150 4 stroke that I could find. Still looking for transomsaver long enough locally.

Tom
Tom