New Boat, how to install swivel seats

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

New Boat, how to install swivel seats

Post by crwalker1987 »

Hey Guys,

Havent posted on here in a while but I finally went out and got myself a little 14footer for this years fishing season. Gonna be running a 9.8hp Tohatsu on it. I'm having trouble figuring out a seat solution for it. I went and bought 3 seats with those over the bench seat clamps and they were junk. One lean too far back and you were going for a ride. My benches are filled with styrofoam so i cant get a board under there to fasten a baseplate too. I'm not really sure what I can do at this point. I'm a little leary to start drilling holes into my new boat considering I dont have a ton of boat experience. I've heard self tapping screws but I feel those would only hold for a while. I'm not sure if removing all of the styrofoam under the benches is a good idea either. The rear is a split bench and there is no way to get under at all. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. I'll attach some pictures of the hull so you can see.

Cheers,

Chris
Attachments
IMG_2368.JPG
IMG_2368.JPG (3.01 MiB) Viewed 1996 times
IMG_2367.JPG
IMG_2367.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1996 times
IMG_2366.JPG
IMG_2366.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1996 times
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: New Boat, how to install swivel seats

Post by CBB »

Only 2 ways to attach them so they will stay and here is my suggestion

1- Make a template of the bolt pattern on the seat swivel and drill the holes with a long drill bite all the way down through the Styrofoam and then you will need a long extension to tighten the nut to the bolts holding the seat. Only issue with this is if there is not something supporting up under the seats the bolt may pull through the aluminium if pressured. You could take the Styrofoam out from under the seats and put a piece of Marine plywood up under the seat to give support but it would be a job to get the Styrofoam back in afterwards.

2- Make a bracket that goes over the seat and down a ways on the sides that you can tap screw to the seat sides and this will be stronger and should hold very well as well as keep everything looking good. This would work well on the split seat as well.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Whenever I've been in a boat like that, I typically just sit on the bench. The seats really are not required.
If you want some comfort, grab a few cushions and maybe some Velcro and be done with it.

The only other option I would consider if you absolutely have to have a few seats would be to make a platform of marine grade plywood over the front benches and bolt the seats to it. If you only made the platform so it covered from the rear of the mid bench to the front of the front bench, you could put one chair on the front and one on the back.
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm gonna take your advice for now lape and take it out and see if they really are required. I won't be fishing for super long periods of time and if I'm not trolling I will be standing. Most boats I've been in like this were more of a car topper style and were very tippy anyou would be crunched up when sitting on the bench, this boat is very deep and legs are pretty much at 90 on all benches if not higher. If it becomes an issue I will revisit putting seats on at a later point in time.

Cheers,

Chris