I'm a carp newbie

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yunan
Participant
Participant

I'm a carp newbie

Post by Yunan »

I've been trying to get myself into a carp for a while. It's either I'm doing something wrong or luck is not on my side. I usually just slide the bait on the hook but I see more and more people saying the importance of a a hair rig. Will carp sometimes not even bite if the bait is directly threaded through the hook? Also I tend to spot these big friends on the surface. But my understandings are those one that just swim in circles under the surface of the water aren't the biting ones?

Hopefully I will get into my first carp this year...
Caaatch and Release!
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: I'm a carp newbie

Post by riverdog »

Not sure what your using for bait or where your fishing them. You can use simple frozen corn, hook some kernels onto your hook cast out & chum around your hook with more corn. This method has produced lots of Carp for me.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Could be the spawn...you'll catch nothing then. Simplest rig to catch carp with is called a bolt rig. The carp literally catches itself.
...anything to bend the rod
Yunan
Participant
Participant

Post by Yunan »

Thanks for the suggestions! I guess the problem is not the bait I'm using it's my timing and location.
Caaatch and Release!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Carp tend to not be overly picky in Canada (opposed to the UK). I have caught most of mine with the bait directly on the hook. A hair rig (if rigged properly) increases the percentages though.

Worms work great if you do do not have other nuisance fish in the area. Corn is works very well as well.
Who_ate_all_the_Pie?
Participant
Participant

Post by Who_ate_all_the_Pie? »

I have been fishing for Carp here for the last 2yrs now, and caught many, many fish. The numbers of fish and size and strength is amazing, compared to Europe.
Are you in Ottawa? I live in Ottawa, but I actually do all my carp fishing on the St. Lawrence river. I like the clear water.
I do a bit of fishing from shore, but mostly, I go with my boat, and fish from an island for 1 or 2 days at a time. I pre-bait the area quite a bit. But once you have found where the fish naturally will be, feed, or pass through...you're in.
there is a really good, helpful book about carp fishing in Canada, worth the read imo.
http://www.carpfishingincanada.com/

As mentioned by someone earlier, this is a tricky time of year, as the fish can be either really hungry, or they are in spawning-mode. It's pretty much not worth the effort when they are spawning. You'll know they are, when you see them in groups splashing around, and ignore everything else.
After that, they'll move back into deeper waters. Early season, you'll also find them on the shallow sand banks/bottoms, warming up.

Carp fishing is a super complicated fishery back in Europe, with super sophisticated equipment and techniques. Mostly, because the fishing pressure is SUPER high over there, and they treat the big fish like royalty.
Here, it's untouched. Therefor, you can keep it as simple as you would like. A sliding weight to a swivel, and a mono/fluorocarbon leader to a hook or hair rig.
After that, you can make it as crazy as you want.
You can buy the hair rigs pre-made or make them yourself once you have figured it out. You fish it with a tight line, and with your drag real light, so the fish can pick it up and run with it. Believe me, they RUN! A baitrunner reel is highly recommended. This reel allows you to use 2 different drags, one very light, so the fish can pick it up and run, and the 2nd will be your "fighting" drag. I use long rods, about 9-10ft long, gives you a great advantage over the fish, as well as presentation. Getting your line over a weedbed or rocks etc. Definitely need braided line. I use 60lbs braid, as there are so many sharp objects and mussels that will cut your mono line instantly. Plus, you need the non-stretch when fishing a river with such strong flow like the St.Lawrence or Ottawa River. I use at least 3oz weights.
Sail outdoor store sells a little bit of carp tackle, but I order most of my stuff at http://www.carpkit.com

Corn works great. They love it, its very much available, and cheap! You can buy a can of corn and use that, but there are better and cheaper ways.
You can get the fish you see on the surface, sometimes, but its hard. some stealth, and good presentation is required. My friend picked off 2 carp at the small side pond next the Canal, by Queen Elizabeth. He put 1-2 pieces of corn on a hook, and hooked 2 carp and caught several catfish. worms would be good, except, EVERYTHING eats worms, so I wouldn't bother.
I buy the corn in 50lbs bags, either at Ritchie Feed http://www.ritchiefeed.com/, or at a different store where they sell bird feed, chicken feed etc. Can't remember the name. I also buy it from the farmer in Iroquois, where I launch, and that has been the cheapest so far. $12 for 50lbs bag.
KEY IS, you need to soak the corn for a couple of days, or boil it. It needs to be soft for the carp to eat. If not, they will still eat it, but it will expend and the fish will die. It will also be too hard to hook if not soaked/boiled. Also, there is more flavor/aroma coming off when it soaked/boiled. A friend recommended to buy a big black garbage container and soak the corn in that, in the sun. That will speed up the process, and should be ready to use in 1-2 days, depending.

If you want, I can show you the setup and everything I use, or you can come along one day if you'd like.
I'm actually heading out tomorrow morning with a buddy to fish from shore at Long Sault (St.Lawrence). I haven't seen the water levels there yet, so I wanted to see it, and I know fish used to be there early season, on the shallow sandy areas.
You're welcome to join, I can't guarantee how it will be, as I haven't seen it yet. Send me an email. rosenquist.m@gmail.com

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck otherwise,

Mike
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Who ate the pie said it the best! You can make it as complicated as you want or as basic as you want. The important part is a good reel baitrunner is what I use also & a long rod with backbone.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Wow, great first post Mike. Welcome to the forums.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Post above seals the deal. Very well written and bang on.

RJ
Yunan
Participant
Participant

Post by Yunan »

Lesson learned: stop trying to chase the spawning carp.
Caaatch and Release!
Who_ate_all_the_Pie?
Participant
Participant

Had any luck this summer?
I got my PB a 37lbs!!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Nice where did yo catch it.
Who_ate_all_the_Pie?
Participant
Participant

St Lawrence river
Lots of fish, and very big ones. Wouldn't
surprise me if there are 50-60lbs'ers in there.