Fluorocarbon leaders for bass

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fluorocarbon leaders for bass

Post by bl8ant »

So I have been using fluorocarbon leaders for bass for a while now. You know, to ensure the connection between rod and bait is invisible to the bass.
Then I got to thinking...

The bass don't seem to take exception to the ultra dark bristled weed guards of my flipping jigs

Smallmouth certainly seem to smash my Fergie spoon despite the heavy gauge wire leader

The don't seem to mind the coat hanger wire connecting the blades to the head of my spinnerbaits

And those Alabama rigs, how about those Alabama rigs

Just trying to employ some critical thinking here and am interested in what others think.
I think I'm going to run straight braid a little more this season and see if I notice any less bass being boated.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Fluorocarbon leaders for bass

Post by CNs »

the only reason I use a flouro leader to braid is for shock absorption. I do not prescribe to the notion that fish are line shy. I think they do sense the line as it gives out vibrations and if you are using a very think line for finesse presentation it the fish will "shy" away from it.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I've never used fluor leaders for bass fishing. The guy I fish with the most does and there isn't a catch difference between us in terms of numbers or size. I am thinking of going the other way this season just to see if it makes a difference for me this year.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

The only think I don't use straight braid for is dropshot (6' floro leader as it'll break before the braid mainline, meaning I can run the same braid mainline for years on end)... and crankbaits (I like the shock absorption of mono).
I don't believe fluoro gets any deeper as the crank lip is what pulls it down, not the weight of the line.
I don't believe fish with their pea-sized brains really know the diff between green braid and green weeds.
I just use the line that suits my fishing style and preferences vs thinking I'm outsmarting the fish by making that fake plastic lure look real by hiding the line (and doing nothing about the treble hooks they see... which aren't exactly natural!)
mb_fishing
Participant
Participant

Post by mb_fishing »

I use braid and tie directly to everything and seem to be doing just dandy. I would think that fluorocarbon makes sense in gin clear water. I did have one outing where a buddy of mine was using it and I was not otherwise we had the same presentation and he was killing it whereas I was not. It was fairly clear water as well.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I use fluro leads on any slack line presentation ie. Senkos, light tubes etc. I'm not 100% sold it matters but in my mind if one fish swims away from it due to line then it's too many and for piece of mind I tie them on.

RJ
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I use braid on everything but i do tie on fluoro on mono leader on some rods. On bait casting rods I'll use leaders shock absorption and I find it gets tangled less around hooks especially with walking the dog baits. As for spinning gear i use it fluoro for abrasion resistance and yes because it is less visible underwater.

I do understand what Bl8ant is saying about overthinking and giving the fish more credit than they deserve. Maybe they do see the line or maybe they don't.

However I am a huge believer in confidence. if you believe the bait will work you probably spend them little extra effort working the lure correctly and that could trigger the bites. So use what you think will work best for you
- Rick Ozga
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

RJ wrote:I use fluro leads on any slack line presentation ie. Senkos, light tubes etc. I'm not 100% sold it matters but in my mind if one fish swims away from it due to line then it's too many and for piece of mind I tie them on.

RJ
x2, ^
Moving baits, I use straight braid and anything finesse, dead stick, I use a leader or straight fluro.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

RJ wrote:I use fluro leads on any slack line presentation ie. Senkos, light tubes etc. I'm not 100% sold it matters but in my mind if one fish swims away from it due to line then it's too many and for piece of mind I tie them on.

RJ

How would you know?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

CN wrote:

RJ

How would you know?
I could throw it back to you and ask how do you know they don't swim away from it? For my confidence, I prefer to be as stealthy with a presentation as I can. Flurocarbon leads does that for me in my mind.

RJ
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Difference is with all those baits listed above is that they are moving baits versus what I use my fluro leads for.

RJ
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I like using flouro.......it just looks cool. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

No leaders for me, straight flouro :lol:

I hate that braid/mono floats, which leads to it bowing/sagging in the water, I want my line directly down to the bait. I also fish flouro on my Alabama Rigs.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

RJ wrote:
CN wrote:

RJ

How would you know?
I could throw it back to you and ask how do you know they don't swim away from it? For my confidence, I prefer to be as stealthy with a presentation as I can. Flurocarbon leads does that for me in my mind.

RJ

exactly! Unless you have a camera in front of the lure and you can see the same bass avoiding a lure without a flouro leader, and then the same bass taking the same lure with a flouro leader how would you know either way?
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Gord wrote:I like using flouro.......it just looks cool. :lol: :lol: :lol:
YES! :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/