Need a frog / pike / musky setup

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Mikeofspadez
Participant
Participant

Need a frog / pike / musky setup

Post by Mikeofspadez »

I currently have a 7ft medium fast vendetta with a pflueger spinning reel and mostly fish bass. I only fish from the bank but I know there is good size musky, gar and pike in the rideau river that I want to attempt catching. I feel like I can justify dropping 180-250$ on a bait casting setup if I can also use it to frog which would give me more options in terms of fishing from the bank. It would be REALLY great if it was 2 piece.

From what I read I think I need a heavy rod with fast action and possibly 65lb braid. I was looking at the veritas rods which seem well priced but I don't think I can get the heavy 7'6 in 2 pieces :/
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Need a frog / pike / musky setup

Post by toobinator »

It's hard to find a quality baitcaster set-up in 2 piece heavier than medium. I do have a Veritas rod that is designed for throwing frogs that would probably fit your requirements. Paired with a decent reel could be well within your budget.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Mikeofspadez
Participant
Participant

Post by Mikeofspadez »

I couldnt get a 2' veritas at sail nor cabelas that was 2pc and MH+.

Ended up getting a 6'6" MH 2pc vendetta. Second guessing my choice though. Paired it with a 7:1 revo sx. Most of my fishing is done from the bank and I am wondering if I will have issues flipping jigs and frogs on to pads and weeds. Most people seem to recommend 7' - 7'6" rods and the same for pike/musky. Havent tried it yet because I am considering returning it depending on the input I get here.

I am wondering if my reels 20lb drag can compensate for what I lack in a 7ft rod when fighting the odd pike/musky. Wont be able to cast decent swim baits but should be good with spinners/bucktails/spoons. Rod is 3/8 - 1oz

Thanks for any input!
cheeze
Participant
Participant

Post by cheeze »

Pm sent