Jock River Landing (Ottawa)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SteveWithKids
Participant
Participant

Jock River Landing (Ottawa)

Post by SteveWithKids »

Complete noob here.

My kids and I have been fishing a few times this summer at the Jock River Landing since it is close to my place, and it is easily accessible for the kids. I read that this is supposedly a good spot for shore fishing. However so far we haven't have any luck. Anyone willing to share some tips?

We have been going in the morning (7-ish), and there were plenty of small fish near the shore. We used those cheap small (around 1") plastic worms in bright yellow as bait. We can see the smaller fish will chase after the bait but the fish just aren't biting.

Also we were casting from the Rideau river side since the current seem to be quite strong on the Jock river side. But the problem is the Rideau side is pretty shallow so I suspect there aren't any bigger fish near where we were casting.

Any suggestions/tips?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Jock River Landing (Ottawa)

Post by zippyfx »

Not a great spot in general.... Watchout for wild parsnip. Best luck there would be the use of worms. I have lost many lures there.

For kids and adults alike a would recommend kars. Lot's of good pan fish action with worms.
SteveWithKids
Participant
Participant

Post by SteveWithKids »

It is funny that you mention about losing the lures: my son promptly lost his lure in his first cast to a rock about 10' out. He was quite sad when I had to cut the line. :-P

Anyway thank for the tips, especially about the wild parsnip. BTW where can you park when fishing at the Kars?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Most people just park on the side of the street or the side launch. As long as there is room for the people with boats to get by no one seems to care that much unless you are blocking traffic.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

For Kars , I suggest crocs or water proof shoes as the boats wake floods the dock/wharf.
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
SteveWithKids
Participant
Participant

Post by SteveWithKids »

Walker wrote:For Kars , I suggest crocs or water proof shoes as the boats wake floods the dock/wharf.
Thanks! Never thought of that. :-P
gkilla
Participant
Participant

Post by gkilla »

I have gone to the usual places (Kars, Blacks Rapids and Jock Landing) but found that Long Island Locks was the best place to bring my son. Grab yourself a box of worms and you will be catching small sunfish/blue gill all day. You might even be lucky enough to catch other species since I have caught bass, pike and the occasional walleye on the dam side. Good luck!
SteveWithKids
Participant
Participant

Post by SteveWithKids »

gkilla wrote:I have gone to the usual places (Kars, Blacks Rapids and Jock Landing) but found that Long Island Locks was the best place to bring my son. Grab yourself a box of worms and you will be catching small sunfish/blue gill all day. You might even be lucky enough to catch other species since I have caught bass, pike and the occasional walleye on the dam side. Good luck!
Thanks. Will give that a try next time we go fishing.

Any tips for catching those pan fish you mentioned? Am I suppose to float the bait a few feet under the water, or is it better to let it sink all the way to the bottom? Cast further away from the shore, or just let it dangle from the dock?
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I've taken my kids fishing under the Strandherd/Armstrong bridge as there's a nice paved trail there (Barrhaven side). Bobbers w/ worms and small hooks - we all got very small smallmouth but they were fun. My son caught a crayfish on his worm... he was surprised and exceited and a bit puzzled - it was hilarious.

Give it a shot if you don't want to go far.
SteveWithKids
Participant
Participant

Post by SteveWithKids »

curls wrote:I've taken my kids fishing under the Strandherd/Armstrong bridge as there's a nice paved trail there (Barrhaven side). Bobbers w/ worms and small hooks - we all got very small smallmouth but they were fun. My son caught a crayfish on his worm... he was surprised and exceited and a bit puzzled - it was hilarious.

Give it a shot if you don't want to go far.
Thank for the suggestion. I live really close to the bridge so I will definitely check it out.

Small ones are fine to me. Wasn't planning to keep any of the fish or trying to land a monster one. Just want kids to have some fun outside. :-P We went a couple of times to different places but unfortunately haven't caught anything. Really hope to find the right place and right technique before they run out of patience.