LF: 6 AWG Marine Wire

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

LF: 6 AWG Marine Wire

Post by Oneeleven »

Extending my trolling motor battery cable and am trying to find the wire. Anyone know where I can find it? (Aside from online). Thanks :)
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: LF: 6 AWG Marine Wire

Post by lape0019 »

Hey Tia,

I doubt you'll need 6awg for a 12v trooper but if that is what you want and that's what MK calls for, hit up the Chandlery. It's on Poulin drive just off of Richmond road near Carling. I picked mine up there a few years ago and they had a couple of other sizes as well as all of the connectors to get everything to work.

Adam.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

lape0019 wrote:Hey Tia,

I doubt you'll need 6awg for a 12v trooper but if that is what you want and that's what MK calls for, hit up the Chandlery. It's on Poulin drive just off of Richmond road near Carling. I picked mine up there a few years ago and they had a couple of other sizes as well as all of the connectors to get everything to work.

Adam.
That is what it recommends. But I've heard people use all sorts of things. But I guess it's better to do it right. I plan on selling this set up to get a tinny in a year or so, so it's better to be able to say it's all up to snuff.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I just went and looked at the grid and was surprised to see they call for that for anything less than 45lb thrust for lengths of 20 feet.

Regardless, The Chandlery will be able to help you out.
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

Depending on the cost at specialty stores it may be cheaper to buy 6 awg jumper cables. They can be purchased for 30ish at Canadian Tire.
When I had to extend the wires on my trolling motor I went to a shop that installed winches on ATVs and got the 6 awg wire from them. I think they gave me 6' for very little cost. If I remember correctly MK also recommends a breaker to be installed to maintain warranty and protect the electronics within the unit.
I got mine online for a lot cheaper than I could get local.
Bill
barbless-bob
Participant
Participant

Post by barbless-bob »

try an automotive parts store
try and get as many strands as possible as opposed to the regular 7 strand , the 7 strand gets very stiff when cold putting stress at termination points when bouncing the waves
i do not agree with the booster cables it will work but not designed to last very long the insulation deteriorates quickly ( no diff if using extension cord)
this wire and termination will not be cheap so measure it well and give yourself extra
i have done this to 2 boats now, i move my batteries to balance the boat, well worth the effort and cost
good luck