Favorite Prensentation for River Walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Favorite Prensentation for River Walleye

Post by Wally »

Hi Guys,here's a interesting question for all the Wallye's rookies out there: What's your favorite's and most effective river walleye presentation and bait/line set-up,
Live bait vs swimbait vs crankbait........Thanks again ...Wally
BrookieJunkie
Participant
Participant

Re: Favorite Prensentation for River Walleye

Post by BrookieJunkie »

I like using crank baits for walleye. I stay away from live bait.

What's your favourite presentation Wally?
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

My favorite technique is bottom jigging I like to stay in contact with the bottom or bottom bouncing .Crankbait I have no idea where my crankbait is ,how accurate are those
chart on the box,it depends on the current/speed, I try a few time but never caught anything yet.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

For me it depends on where on the river. If it is calm enough to stay in relatively one spot jigging with worms and minnows is great. Where I have been fishing them last few years has really fast current and lots of rocks so jigging is hard without getting snagged every couple minutes. Here I like to use crank baits and troll facing into the current. You can get an estimate of where the bait is by feeling it contact the bottom. I rarely mark any fish on the finder with this technique but catch a fair share. Caught my pb this way.

Any tips for jigging in fast current? Usually in about 5-10 ft sometimes a little deeper. Deepest parts are around 20 ft.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Use a heavier jig to keep contact with bottom, I've heard of 2oz jigs for fishing the St.Lawrence and use thin line, 8-10 lbs braid is really thin. When I fish in current I usually drift with the current and tie on a jig heavy enough for it to go straight down.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Spencercityboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Spencercityboy »

Speaking from my St.Lawrence experience jigging powerbait and minnows in the spring heavy jigs bright colours, switch into bottom bouncing worm harnesses all summer (normally drifting, sometimes trolling) and in the fall switch from worms to minnows with my bottom bouncing and back into some jigging with minnows as well. Has been a great year on the St.Lawrence for walleye (picture is of my brother) looking forward to getting into some hogs this fall!
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Post by 67ZL1 »

Dragging jigs tipped with a leech or crawler, usually about .3 mph into the current and .4 ish faster than the current when going with it. Lindy Rig with a leech back trolling into current or drifting with current. Trolling deep diving crankbaits into current. And finally trolling a floating Rapala or crawler harness into current behind a heavy bottom bouncer.
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

Thanks guys for all the tips /techniques it will be very helpful for all the new walleye fishermans,looks like i'm trolling to fast,
I been trolling at a average of 1.5 mph on the St-Lawrence in 35fow , and haven't caught my first walleye yet, What about in the fall ,slower,thanks again Wally.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

As the water cools you will need to go slower Wally. Try bottom bouncing using a slow death hook tipped with either a half worm or a Gulp minnow.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
BillyBones
Participant
Participant

Post by BillyBones »

I like to use home made rigs from small Colorado spinners tipped with a piece of worm. Orange, chartruse, or this year red and white.
I put these about 2 to 2 1/2 feet behind a bottom bouncer and troll slowly. The bottom bouncer stirs up the bottom and the Walleye
can't resist them. No matter what the water, if you can locate the Walleye you will catch them.

Billy Bones :D