Clam drill auger conversion kit

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Clam drill auger conversion kit

Post by Trout_83 »

Hey guys,
I'm brand new to ice fishing and I picked up a manual 6 inch auger (Sail brand) and I'm looking to to use the Clam power drill conversion kit and I need help figuring out what drill to use. It says to use a high torque 18v drill. I currently own a standard 18v ridgid cordless drill as well as a Dewalt 20v dcd796 with a 1.5 ah lithium ion battery. I don't know how much torque either of these have. Would either of those work? I don't even know how thick ice gets where I'd be fishing (Shirley's bay, stocked Calabogie lakes, white lake....). If anyone can help me out with this I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Clam drill auger conversion kit

Post by Troutskiii »

I would go for the Dewalt 20v Li-ion battery. A good battery seems to be the make it or break it with the auger drills.
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

I have a 6 inch auger and use it with a Rigid 18v. Works like a charm.
What I find though is if it's cold, punch a bunch of holes right away. Seems I get some power loss when batteries are cold. Even if I switch to a fresh battery. But on arrival I punch 6 or 8 holes in a row without issue.
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Post by Trout_83 »

Thanks for the replies! I'll probably just bring both out and see how it goes. I was trying to figure out if I needed to go out and buy a specific "high torque" type drill for the clam kit to work, but from what it sounds like I should be good to go with a basic drill. Thanks again
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

I read about the torque device for the electric drills but I was cheap and just went 18v. Boy was I surprised how well it works. With the torque thingy it must go through like butter.
I'll be using my 18v again this season for sure. I always bring the original auger handle just in case.