Boats? What do you drive? Im Looking for a new one

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
baitfish
Participant
Participant

Boats? What do you drive? Im Looking for a new one

Post by baitfish »

Looking for a new boat....i currently own a Lund Rebel single console....want to upgrade to a bigger aluminum...
Looking at a single console in the below...any experience with warranties, price points, performance, interior storage..packagez...etc.

1.Lund impact 19'
2.Alumacraft 205 competitior
3. G3 angler V19

***Not worried about the motor as I have my favorites...its just the boats...
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Boats? What do you drive? Im Looking for a new one

Post by toobinator »

My knowledge of aluminum is limited, but Lund seems to have an outstanding reputation, and the after sales service I've gotten from Pirate Cove, a Lund dealer has been the absolute best.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

IMO, you really can't go wrong with the two top boats you have listed. I don't know enough about G3 to provide a positive review of them but I do not think they are in the same league as Lund and Alumacraft.

Ed is correct in that Pirate Cove is a great place to deal with and they will take care of you. I have been in an 1875 Lund Impact for a tournament on lake St. Francis and was very impressed with its capabilities, ride and storage. The only place I found that boat lacking (which wasn't an issue as the co angler) was the front casting deck. Now, this boat was a full windshield model so I do not know if it would look or feel as cramped in a single console version but the front casting deck is small. The owner also had the optional folding rear seats that converted into a casting deck which was a great addition for a co angler.

As for the Alumacraft, they are great boats and when talking aluminum, this is probably one of the more underrated boats out there. I have crawled through a bunch over the years and have always been impressed with their fit and finish. But you are looking at two different beasts here. The 205 is a lot larger than the 1875 Impact and has a larger HP rating. If paired with a 150, I am sure it will be more than capable but if it is rated for a 250, that is what the boat was designed to have on it and would be the only way I would purchase this boat.

Needless to say, I do not think you can go wrong with either but if you are planning on putting a 150 on the 205 competitor, I would lean towards the impact as it will be more efficient with the max HP rating the boat is designed for. And for me coming out of a Bass Tracker 190TX with a 75 (rated for 135), I am speaking from experience. I had no issues with the top end speed of my boat being 36.5-38mph but if I would have had the 135 on it, that would have meant less RPMs, better fuel consumption and a little more agility.

Either way, good luck with your purchase and hope you enjoy it!
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

Love my 1600 Crestliner Fishhawk side console.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Swing by the Ottawa Boat Show and you'll be able to compare them all. I will be in the Pirate Cove Marina/Lund booth Saturday and Sunday and can spend as much time as you'd like chatting boats!

RJ
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

Lund's warranty is far from what it seems... Long story short my 2006 lund 16' side console was leaking over a gallon per hour by 2010, that bilge pump worked way too hard... Finally diagnosed the problem as corroded rivets in 2014 I believe, tried to have it fixed under warranty and was charged a portion of the repair work, the job was botched and I missed a whole season and had a boat that leaked worse than it did before. Ended up epoxying every rivet inside and out, then applying bedliner inside and out along the bottom. Before this mishap there wasn't a scratch on the boat, it was babied now I beat it up and beach it all the time, still no leaks and I love the layout/performance of the boat but dealing with the warranty work on clearly defective rivets was a terrible experience.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I have a 165 Competitor tiller and I'd have no problem whatsoever recommending Alumacraft. My boat is a 2012 and it's been awesome. Very well built, doesn't leak a drop, great fit and finish, and great ride for a smaller hull. Originally being from Western Canada, I didn't know too much about Alumacraft when I moved out here, but I've been very impressed with it and that's coming from having owned two different welded aluminum boats when I lived in BC.

I'm actually probably going to be selling my boat this spring, but when it comes time to buy another one down the road, I'd absolutely put Alumacraft on the short list!
Jason123
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason123 »

Lund impact 19' Seems to have more positive reviews and feedbacks as compared to others.
Bassman1144
Participant
Participant

Post by Bassman1144 »

Picked up a used Lund 2014 Pro guide 1675 2 years ago and I absolutely love the boat. I was always set on an Alumacraft but the Lund has more then exceeded my expectations. I don't think you can go wrong with Lund or Alumacraft but I can vouch that Lund makes a fantastic boat.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I had a 2010 Princecraft Starfish Tiller with a 40 Honda. I liked the boat but not much storage. Last two years the paint started to blister. Apparently the boat wasn't cleaned an primed properly.

I've had Lund, Legend and Starcraft. All had pros and cons.

I spent a year shopping and liked the looks of the 2018 Alumacraft 165 Escape Tiller with a 50 Yamaha with a galvanized Eagle trailer. I couldn't find one locally so I drove to Georgian Bay to check out just the boat. I was really impressed with the boat but not the price they wanted. I shopped around some more and settled on Tweed Sport and Lawn.

Alumacraft is an independent American boat manufacture that's been around since the 40's. They build the boat and you can add the motor option of your choice. Their packages include the Mercury, Honda, BRP, Suzuki or Yamaha motors. Also three different makes of trailer.

I ordered the package hoping it would be what I wanted. When it arrived I just couldn't get over how nice everything was. I was in a daze walking around it taking everything in. I've owned several boats but this was WOW!

I did my own rigging. They still use screws, rather than pop rivets so you can get at everything. It's built like a tank with attention to detail. On the underside of the deck boards are labels and bar codes so you can order replacements if ever needed. Never seen that before. The livewell cover is fully sealed. Tons of storage. I can get one large and one small gas can beside the enclosed rear battery. The paint is really nice. I ordered the all vinyl interior and very glad I did. The boat cover is very high quality and no snaps required. I got the upgraded seats with air ride and height adjustment. The upgraded is very affordable. The boat also has a gunwale track system.

I just can't get over how nice this boat is and that's just sitting on the trailer.

On the water the boat is a dream. Handles rough water with ease, super dry and it is rock solid. Tracks straight trolling in the wind. Again WOW!

The Eagle trailer is super well made. Beautiful aluminum wheels. Large bunks and guides. The trailer self centers the boat when loading. The boat just lines up and goes on straight like it has an auto pilot. This is by far the easiest loading trailer I've ever used. LED lights and a swing tongue. The mounted ratchet straps are quick and easy.

The 50 Yamaha is a fantastic motor. Quieter and smoother that the Honda which is a feat in itself. The troll speed adjustment works really well. I can get the boat down to 2.7 kph with no wind. With my nose to a breeze it'll troll down to 2.4 kph. Top end loaded is 52 kph. 3/4 throttle is 48 kph and better on gas than the 40 Honda.

The Minn Kota Powerdrive 55 pushes the boat very well.

My only complaint is the bow storage doesn't come with a cover. I went to Fabricland, bought marine vinyl and made my own with a sewing machine. Nothing to it.

Now getting to the cost. Alumacraft is very affordable and tons of boat for the money. I dealt with Tweed Sport and Lawn and I'm very please. Gave almost me a third more on my trade-in than the Princecraft dealer offered. The Alumacraft and Yamaha were less that quoted on either website.

If you haven't settled on a boat Alumacraft is worth a look. If your shopping for one, be sure to call Kirk at Tweed Sport and Lawn for a price.
Attachments
20171008_163858_resized_2.jpg
20171008_163858_resized_2.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 8681 times
20171008_163839_resized_2.jpg
20171008_163839_resized_2.jpg (830.45 KiB) Viewed 8681 times
20171114_103511_resized_1.jpg
20171114_103511_resized_1.jpg (251.41 KiB) Viewed 8681 times
Last edited by Roblin on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Post by badbass72 »

I run a Skeeter ZX200 bUT have fished out of an Alumacraft Trophy 185 and could honestly see going to one in the future. I would miss how much quieter fibreglass is but the boat fished and handled well...Lots of storage...good in big water and ideal to set up for any style of fishing. Not sure where you are located but Urban Sport in Arnprior are fairly local dealers...excellent to deal with and will also be at the Ottawa Show
Thanks to all my sponsors: Urban Ford, Urban Sport, Quick Lane Auto Care, Quantum, Strike King, Gourley's Outdoors, Goldwing Automotive, Amsoil, Canadian Tire Renfrew and Demonic Custom Tackle
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Id agree with Roblin. Alumacraft is second to non, yes they are going to cost more than a legend but you certainly get more. The 205 you mentioned is unreal! Your choice of engine is also a bonus rather than being hand cuffed by a dealer who wont sell you anything outside of whats owned by Brunswick.

p.s. There is an alumacraft dealer around now! They are going to have a bunch of boats in this spring!

Blake
horsehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

I had a 2004 Alumacraft 165Magnum CS and sold it last spring for what i paid for it. Well not quite because i put a bow mount trolling motor on which wasn't on when I bought it. My understanding is in the states there are as many Alumacraft as Lunds. Great boats that hold value . I now have a Starcraft Superfisherman ( pretty sure they named it after me :wink: ) and happy so far.
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

Forgot to mention that Cabela's U.S.A. is now selling Alumacraft Boats.
savimakwo
Participant
Participant

Post by savimakwo »

How to make these efforts less drive more or less with the new one ? Best Fat Burners