Info on refinishing floors/casting decks

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
goudieb
Participant
Participant

Info on refinishing floors/casting decks

Post by goudieb »

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question...

I'm looking to refinish the casting decks and floor of my new (to me) boat. Just wondering what the benefits and cons are for marine carpet versus marine vinyl flooring.

Also, are there any good deals to be had on either marine carpet or marine vinyl?

And lastly, any advantages in the installation process of one vs the other?

Thanks.
Brian
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Info on refinishing floors/casting decks

Post by jjcanoe »

I did my old boat a few years ago with all vinyl. I went with vinyl as it's much easier to keep clean, won't fade as much or as quickly as carpet will, it will also protect the wood flooring for a lot longer than carpeting, so you shouldn't have the extra expense of ordering marine grade plywood to replace the flooring. As for adhesive, I used 3M spray 777, it worked fantastic! Stainless steel staples are a must for fastening the vinyl underneath the wood.
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

Are you planning on replacing the flooring as well or just the carpeting? You will need to remove the flooring to install carpet or vinyl properly.
The reason I ask is that carpeting is a good deal thicker than vinyl, so you will need to take this into account along the edges of the deck. There will be a gap between the hull and floor unless you add a bit of material to the edge of the floor about 1/4" all the way around. This is easier than it sounds, a thick layer of exterior wood glue, expanding foam or something similar will do. Let it dry, then sand it to fit. This area will never see any weight so strength isn't an issue and will keep hooks and stinkers and other stuff from falling into the space not to mention look a lot better!
I ended up raising my floor 4 inches ( A bit more than 2 Plano boxes high) and added extra in floor bow storage, (the boat had almost no storage areas)
So by doing all this I was able to fit the new floor/hatch lids perfectly to the edges of the hull
115 Mercury 4 stroke
goudieb
Participant
Participant

Post by goudieb »

Thanks for the info JJ. Lots of good input that I'll need to take into account.

Brian
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

All I know is I've been told it's a helluva a job! I'd love to attempt it on my old Lund but don't have the time or patience!

RJ
joepile
Participant
Participant

Post by joepile »

sounds like you might want to have a side job JJ lol
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

joepile wrote:sounds like you might want to have a side job JJ lol
Lol absolutely Not! Did it once but won't be doing it again! Feel free to ask away though, if I can help out I will. Had a buddy who just did his boat the previous year and he was a great help. Just paying it forward!
115 Mercury 4 stroke
barbless-bob
Participant
Participant

Post by barbless-bob »

pros for vinyl
very easy to clean
hooks (anything for that matter) are "easier" to locate then in carpet
does not absorb water in the same capacity as carpet

cons
slippery as hell when temps drop or when wet
not advised as a casting deck floor (but i will be installing it on my casting deck with anti slip tape)
holds moisture on the wood for longer periods

i personally like vinyl more the carpet
i will be changing my wood still using marine, water is water no mater what you "cover " your wood with
removing my old floor reviled approx 15 lbs of sand , i ran all my wires under, replaced water lines, was able to add storage and allowed me to give the boat bottom a hard inspection
so removing the wood prier to finishing the surface is worth doing if your willing to do the work
good luck and take your time and you'll be happy with your new ride