Renegade bass tv -tio

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Renegade bass tv -tio

Post by jshow89 »

Hey guys just watched the latest episode of Renegade Bass which was day 1 of the thousand islands open, just wondering about the guys on the show that ran to Lake Ontario, it looked like they were fishing out in the middle of nowhere. Obviously these are spots they have fished before and prefished etc but how do they find them in the first place?? On the show it just looked like they stopped the boat way out In the middle, could have just been how it appeared on tv but just blew me away, what do they look for out there? How deep are they? What are they using? I had so many questions for my tv lol... this isn't any fishing I'll be doing just based on my boat and out of my league lol but really had me curious if anyone knows I would love to learn more about what they were doing out there, was pretty cool to watch with the big waves and big numbers!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Renegade bass tv -tio

Post by ShawnD »

jshow89 wrote:Hey guys just watched the latest episode of Renegade Bass which was day 1 of the thousand islands open, just wondering about the guys on the show that ran to Lake Ontario, it looked like they were fishing out in the middle of nowhere. Obviously these are spots they have fished before and prefished etc but how do they find them in the first place?? On the show it just looked like they stopped the boat way out In the middle, could have just been how it appeared on tv but just blew me away, what do they look for out there? How deep are they? What are they using? I had so many questions for my tv lol... this isn't any fishing I'll be doing just based on my boat and out of my league lol but really had me curious if anyone knows I would love to learn more about what they were doing out there, was pretty cool to watch with the big waves and big numbers!

Morning, I could link a ton of youtube videos that would explain how to use Side imaging and Navionics, fishing deep takes a lot of work.
Anyone looking to become as good as they are needs to spend A LOT of time on the water.

If you have time I suggest you attend the Renegade Academy Seminar
March 3rd 2018 - 6pm
255 Kanata Ave, Kanata

They'll be talking about the St Lawrence river, how they find them, what they're using to catch them and you'll be able to ask questions :!:

Hop that helps.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

While I can only guess, my assumption would be very similar to what Shawn just wrote.

Fishing is more than just getting out there and wetting a line for these guys. They study maps (both paper and Navionics) looking for different things. Ledges, shoals, laydowns (trees) and humps in the middle of nowhere are all things people look for because they will hold fish. Once you find the structure you want to check out, you go out and check them out.

Once you get there, the use of your fish finders is key. You are looking for structure. Anything that will hold a bass and since these guys were looking for smallies, they were probably looking for gravel, chunk rock or really anything that the bass could hold to. Many people do not look for fish on the graphs but gravitate to the structure instead. Once they find something they think will hold fish, you fish it.

As Shawn has pointed out, DI and SI more than likely play an important role in narrowing down the structure. I personally have never had SI up until now and look forward to trying it out. 2d can still give you a lot of information but SI and DI are more detailed. SI also allows you to cover a lot of water at once compared to 2D.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Glad you are enjoying the show jshow89!

Guys who venture out on to Lake Ontario certainly aren't in the middle on nowhere, they are on very specific areas they've found. Hump, shoals and flats in the 28-40 foot range are what they start looking for. With that info in your back pocket open up the Navionics webapp and I bet you find some stuff you'd like to check out.

I've been out there fishing and filming for the show, it's a different feeling. I don't know why it's feels weird when you are bass fishing versus it feels normal while trolling. It feels like you can never cast far enough and never cover enough water because there is just so much.

LOTS of guys run to the lake thinking they just whistle and 25 lbs of Smallies jump in the boat, many a tournament series season been crushed making the run.

They are dropshotting and dragging tubes in that deep stuff.

Day 2 airs Monday!

RJ
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

Thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately I can't make the seminar tomorrow night, went to the first one on the np big Rideau and I thought it was great, scheduling just isn't my friend tomorrow..

I did some reading online about using the sonar in my boat, didn't know that you can actually pick out gravel and hard bottoms on the screen as apposed to soft, now I just have to wait for open water and try that out in my boat and see if I can figure out

Also this might seem like a dumb question but when you find these humps and flats in deep water do guys just cruise around watching there screens till they see marks and then try and go back over with lines In??
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

RJ, Do you provide the seminar series video replay links somewhere like last year you have on your facebook? Thanks.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

seahawk,

Those dining room chats were fun and we may do a couple again soon. The seminar series put on by RBT is not recorded.

RJ