guide replacement st. croix

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pickereye chaser
Participant
Participant

guide replacement st. croix

Post by pickereye chaser »

Gidday

with the ice starting to get soft, I was starting to dust off the open water rigs last night.

Noticed i have a guide insert missing on the 4 or 5th guide on a st. croix mojo rod.

Has anyone had experience with replacing only the insert? Or am i best to replace the guide, and if so, is there some locally around Lanark/Ottawa that can do this?

cheers
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: guide replacement st. croix

Post by toobinator »

The whole guide needs to be replaced. It's something I can do at Paddletales. You would need to leave the rod though as it takes a bit of time.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
kingofbeasts
Participant
Participant

Post by kingofbeasts »

pickereye chaser wrote:Gidday

Has anyone had experience with replacing only the insert? Or am i best to replace the guide, and if so, is there some locally around Lanark/Ottawa that can do this?

cheers
You can replace only the insert but it might be safer (budget friendlier) to replace the entire guide. If you want to replace only the insert you have to have an identical guide (brand and size), cut the frame with the edge of a file (triangular works best) , freeze the insert for a couple of hours and then gently place it and work it's way inside the old frame ( the old frame must be brought back to it's original form if it isn't). You can do this yourself and you can also secure the insert with some epoxy resin. The downside is that you might not succeed from the first attempt (sometimes you cannot succeed at all for that matter) so it might be more convenient for you to have the entire guide changed. I've successfully done it a few times my self but is always a risk to be taken there.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

kingofbeasts wrote:
pickereye chaser wrote:Gidday

cheers
You can replace only the insert but it might be safer (budget friendlier) to replace the entire guide. If you want to replace only the insert you have to have an identical guide (brand and size), cut the frame with the edge of a file (triangular works best) , freeze the insert for a couple of hours and then gently place it and work it's way inside the old frame ( the old frame must be brought back to it's original form if it isn't). You can do this yourself and you can also secure the insert with some epoxy resin. The downside is that you might not succeed from the first attempt (sometimes you cannot succeed at all for that matter) so it might be more convenient for you to have the entire guide changed. I've successfully done it a few times my self but is always a risk to be taken there.
That sounds like a lot of wok lol
I also repair guides. :D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
kingofbeasts
Participant
Participant

Post by kingofbeasts »

ShawnD wrote: That sounds like a lot of work lol
Well, it is but sometimes people prefer to keep the original aspect of the rod and if a matching thread combination is not available or if it is a custom rod with marbling and stuff you don't really have other choice than changing only the insert (presuming the original frame is still in good condition).