2010 BAOO TEAM OF THE YEAR

Viewable only by Admins and selected Moderators. Simply move any questionable posts from the forums into here, which no one else can see, and I'll deal with it when I get a chance to.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

"Don't tell me what your gonna do, tell me what you've done". - Kenny Wallace

Jimmy....ya done good!! Image Congrats to you and Mike on a well excecuted plan.

PS. Did you ever ge to Wacky Worm?

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

No I did not....sadly! I wanted to..
Some friends who live in Scranton know the place and I may check it out this w/e.

My girlfriend and I wasted a day in NC and Virginia. Staying the night at a really nice place in Chambersburg.

We had a blast!

Thanks for the kudos!
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

2010 year in review

Post by mikemicropterus »

First, I’d like to thank my sponsors and they include the following,.

Bennett’s Baits and Tackle, Shawn and Wayne are always a pleasure to visit and when I need that special bait Shawn always has some in stock for me. Real nice guys and lots of good product.

Motorguide Trolling Motors, “Never Stop” is a good motto for this company and it reflects how I fish, I never stop. Unless my wife wants me home to finish building her stable…LOL

Gambler Lures, for the past 20 years or so I have been using Gambler Lures and their selection of plastics is awesome. I’m possibly the only one in this area that has such a wide variety of their product. Their Ninja jigs are one of the reasons we had such consistent results this season. Thank-you very much to Byron at Gambler for your help.

Interstate Batteries, again I have been using Interstate Deep Cycle batteries for more than 20 years and the fact that my 109 lb thrust Motorguide Trolling Motor looses no power from morning to the end of the day no matter what the type of water we are fishing and they keep the livewells running all day long to keep the fish healthy is why I use their batteries.

Picasso Jigs and Spinner baits and Tru-Tungsten Weights, Picasso is my got to jigs when I pitch a jig and pig or plastic. Another product I have been using for some 15 or more years. The unique feature about Picasso Spider Jigs is their line tie. It allows the jig to pass through weeds and wood freely and cleanly. Their spinnerbaits are top quality and come in a variety of colors that are well suited to our waters. Tru-Tungsten is going to be the next evolution in worm weights and when the finesse bite is on smaller is always better thus tungsten weights come into play. Thanks Martin for all your help in the past years.

Gambler Bass Boats, I don’t know what I can say about my Outlaw by Gambler Bass Boats other than it is friggin awesome. I feel that Gambler makes the best bass boat on to-days market. The innovation these guys put into the boats as well as the quality of craftsmanship is why I fish out of a Gambler. They have one of the biggest front decks for any bass boat and mine being only 19 feet has plenty enough room to have a small square dance. It handles rough water great with the trim tabs and the recessed foot pedal for the trolling motor makes fishing out of it effortless. It is one of the reasons we won this season. Thanks Gambler for a great boat.

And finally

ML-S Small Engine Repair, they kept my boat running great all season and were ready to step in in the event of an issue but none occurred. A very knowledgeable shop with lots of good advice but looking at it you would just think it was just another backyard mechanic but Mike has more than enough experience to get the job done.

ML-S Custom Tackle, big thanks goes out to ML-S for the custom rods he built for me this season. I have replaced all my store bought rods with questionable quality for single purpose custom rods. In the off season we sat down and picked the blanks I need to bukld my pitchin sticks, worm rod, jerk bait rod, spinnerbait rod, crankbait rods, top water rod, soft jerk bait rod and spinning rods. ML-S uses top quality Lamiglas and MHX blanks to make their custom rods and the quality is excellent. These rods were one of the reason we had such consistent finishes this season. If you have never fished with a custom made rod I encourage you all to try one and see if it doesn’t change your success rate with catching fish. I know it did with me. I will never buy another store bought rod again.

Also I would like to thank my partner for putting up with my demanding style of fishing. I know James took a lot of abuse from me this summer but it was necessary to get us to the top. I know he learned a lot and his netting capabilities have come along way since last season. Now it’s time to work on the other issues. Thanks James for a good season. We won TOY as a team and he was an integral part of that.

To address some of the questions next.

Cprince, yes it’s only 11 teams but the quality of the competitors is just the same as the bigger tournament series. BAOO has been in existence since “94” I believe. Back in the olden days of tournament fishing there was Ottawa Bass and it was going in 85 the first time I fished a tournament. But through in fighting and personalities and politics it fell by the wayside. The void was filled by BAOO and BASS 2000. BASS 2000 lasted a season and a half and because of personality conflict with BAOO, Renegade Bass was formed, in I believe “95”. BAOO has had all the top names fishing its series in the past. Names you would all recognize from the teams that fish the bigger series today.

Now a few years ago the club,BAOO, lost sight of its purpose and became segmented because of personalities and politics. There was an issue one year about a team and the allegations were unfounded but it damaged the club and it polarized the competitors. Some wanted to follow the new president and the difference of opinion caused by the past president caused a rift to form. I’m being very diplomatic in phrasing this as I don’t want to dredge up the old arguments that caused the club to separate. In 2004 the members who supported the old president formed BAA. Now a few years ago we collectively, BAOO and BAA, tried to mend the rift but and this is my opinion, the rift cannot be mended because of the continued support for the old president. Who I might add has passed on and should no longer be an issue. There were some other reasons that couldn’t be resolved and thus in order to maintain our mandate and position in the tournament theater we decided for the best interest of BAOO not to repatriate the two clubs. It’s too bad but that is how things go sometimes. I’m sure these comments may cause some further discussion but not by me.

In 2006 I became president of BAOO and I am proud of the small gains we have made in the club so far but what I am most proud of is the skill level of the anglers who participate. We have teams who regularly fish the larger series and do have success in those tournaments as well. If you look at our weights and compare them to the weights top finishing teams say in Renegade you will see our results are at the same level all things being equal. Our limits are 4 fish while theirs are 5 fish but if you look at the average weight of our, James’ and myself, finishes this season would have translated to top ten finishes in Renegade or SEBO and that is what I am also proud of. So yes we have only 11 teams but some of them are capable of competing on a higher level. So why do they fish BAOO well it’s not for the money but for the camaraderie and the ability to learn new styles of techniques.

We have at the end of each tournament what we call “How they did it” and the winning team tells show they won the tournament. I don’t think this is part of any other series and in fact I know first hand in the larger tournaments this is kept secret except for the winning team’s clique. Our mandate at BAOO is to educate the teams so they can get the skills necessary to compete at a higher level and do well in the other series. And that is also what I am proud of.

As far as a got to pattern if anyone who has seen me on the water they know I pitch 90% of the time. I find it is a more productive way of fishing than casting out and retrieving. I really hunt for fish and pitchin is how I locate the majority of fish. This season it went like this,

Newboro 7’3” custom made Lamiglas pitchin stick, Power Pro 20lb braid, ¾ ounce Gambler Ninja jig with a secret plastic trailer.
Also Loomis MB 844 custom made rod with Picasso Spider jig and Yum pig trailer.
Colors for jigs and trailers blue/black and pumpkinseed.

Ottawa River same but also soft jerk bait Gambler Flappin Shad

Mississippi Lake 7’3” custom made Lamiglas pitchin stick, Power Pro 20lb braid, ¾ ounce Gambler Ninja jig with a secret plastic trailer.
Also Loomis MB 844 custom made rod with Picasso Spider jig and Yum pig trailer.
Colors for jigs and trailers blue/black and pumpkinseed

Kilmarnock 7’3” custom made Lamiglas pitchin stick, Power Pro 20lb braid, ¾ ounce Gambler Ninja jig with a secret plastic trailer.

Muskrat Lake 7’3” custom made Lamiglas pitchin stick, Power Pro 20lb braid, ¾ ounce Gambler Ninja jig with a secret plastic trailer.

Most fish were caught in deep water as I am not a shallow type angler. I prefer to fish deep as most will fish shallow buy I find bigger and more fish out deeper. Not to say you can’t nor won’t catch them shallow but I have found shallow fishing to be a hit or miss and the deeper fish when you can find them are more and bigger. I also put another GPS unit on my boat a Humminbird 788 and it helped immensely with fishing humps and deep weedlines. It aided in seeing where we had fished and what we had not fished yet so it upped the ability to fish an area effectively. The ability to find a sweet spot on a weedline was because of the electronics.

So that is basically how our season went. I would like to add that this year I went into the season with a goal and that was winning TOY. With a win in the first tournament, another first this season, I knew we had a shot at it. Statistically if we could maintain a 13lb average for each tournament I knew we would win. The stats proved that. So we were not really fishing against the other competitors but fishing against the statistics and we beat the stats. Now onto the Classic and hopefully another first for this year. :D

RJ yes 3.26lb average is very impressive :wink: and it would have put us in the top ten in your series comparatively speaking. I also helped Roberto Straccini and his partner Bill Hall to a sixth place finish at Newboro in your series. I sort of sponsor him.

Well that’s the season in a nutshell and with my work schedule I had this season the pre-fishing was way less than last year so the good finishes have almost made me think pre-fishing is over rated. But when I get time I will post some of pictures of a couple days I did get out to pre-fish. That being said, I had no pre-fishing on Newboro, on Kilmarnock nor on the Ottawa. Muskrat 2 days and Mississippi 3 days.

Thanks for the kudos guys and hope we do as well on Big Rideau.

Jim W as far as spots go ask RJ if I give out info like that but I will help you as you are a paying customer and we can talk when you pick your boat up later. :wink:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

Jimmy_1 wrote: Looking at the Renegade stats...seems we would have fared well in that league to with a 3.26 average.

Top 10 team at least.
LOL....settle down fella. First off congrats on your accomplishments this year.

However...

First place in one series does not automatically mean you are top ten material in an other. Renegade is full of very VERY excellent anglers. To proclaim that you would finish top ten in Renegade based on results of a 10 team series is a little bold...actually it's alot bold.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

jwhite wrote:
Jimmy_1 wrote: Looking at the Renegade stats...seems we would have fared well in that league to with a 3.26 average.

Top 10 team at least.
LOL....settle down fella. First off congrats on your accomplishments this year.

However...

First place in one series does not automatically mean you are top ten material in an other. Renegade is full of very VERY excellent anglers. To proclaim that you would finish top ten in Renegade based on results of a 10 team series is a little bold...actually it's alot bold.
Thanks...I guess.

But for the record. Second place Team of the Year are the 2003 Renegade TOY. So there are VERY good anglers in the club. Just because you fish Renegade does not mean you are good. Pay your entry fee, have a bass boat, your in.

Its 11 teams, not 10.

I said on Statistics. Not far fetched at all to assume an additional fish, based on law of averages, would have allowed us as a team to achieve top 10 consistent weights at all. Only way to PROVE that is to have done it obviously.

3.26lb average...in ANY tournament series....is impressive.

We had 14.59 lbs at Muskrat...we were throwing away 3lb fish trying to get bigger ones..(we weighed em as we caught em) so we could have EASILY had an 18+ bag for that day.
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

Jimmy_1 wrote: I said on Statistics. Not far fetched at all to assume an additional fish, based on law of averages, would have allowed us as a team to achieve top 10 consistent weights at all. Only way to PROVE that is to have done it obviously.
I think you nailed it right there.

At the end of the day, if you really believe in your mind that you would have made top ten in Renegade then that's all that matters I guess.
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

Watch out WFN!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

jwhite wrote:
Jimmy_1 wrote: I said on Statistics. Not far fetched at all to assume an additional fish, based on law of averages, would have allowed us as a team to achieve top 10 consistent weights at all. Only way to PROVE that is to have done it obviously.

At the end of the day, if you really believe in your mind that you would have made top ten in Renegade then that's all that matters I guess.
Get over it Jwhite. I said based on law of probabilities. Never said I could nor that I'd even try. RELAX.

You ever watch that show "Deadliest Warrior"? They run a statistical analysis between 2 historical warriors. Its kinda neat.

I saw one where it found a samurai would have lost to a roman centurion. I highly doubt that, however the stat said it would happen.

All I was saying is it wasn't too far fetched to assume. Not it was GUARANTEED.
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

Jimmy_1 wrote:
jwhite wrote:

Get over it Jwhite. I said based on law of probabilities. Never said I could nor that I'd even try. RELAX.

You ever watch that show "Deadliest Warrior"? They run a statistical analysis between 2 historical warriors. Its kinda neat.

I saw one where it found a samurai would have lost to a roman centurion. I highly doubt that, however the stat said it would happen.

All I was saying is it wasn't too far fetched to assume. Not it was GUARANTEED.
Yes I've seen the show. So you are a Samurai now?

I just don't see the need to compare yourself to Renegade? I don't remember ever seeing anyone from Renegade proclaim they would clean house in BAOO based on their season's results. It's just seems silly.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Congrats to Mike & James on winning the BAOO TOY.
Sounds like you both enjoyed the 2010 series and that's good.
Whats the prize or payout for the Classic?
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: 2010 year in review

Post by jwhite »

mikemicropterus wrote:First, I’d like to thank my sponsors and they include the following,.

ML-S Small Engine Repair, they kept my boat running great all season and were ready to step in in the event of an issue but none occurred. A very knowledgeable shop with lots of good advice but looking at it you would just think it was just another backyard mechanic but Mike has more than enough experience to get the job done.

ML-S Custom Tackle, big thanks goes out to ML-S for the custom rods he built for me this season. I have replaced all my store bought rods with questionable quality for single purpose custom rods. In the off season we sat down and picked the blanks I need to bukld my pitchin sticks, worm rod, jerk bait rod, spinnerbait rod, crankbait rods, top water rod, soft jerk bait rod and spinning rods. ML-S uses top quality Lamiglas and MHX blanks to make their custom rods and the quality is excellent. These rods were one of the reason we had such consistent finishes this season. If you have never fished with a custom made rod I encourage you all to try one and see if it doesn’t change your success rate with catching fish. I know it did with me. I will never buy another store bought rod again.

Also I would like to thank my partner for putting up with my demanding style of fishing. I know James took a lot of abuse from me this summer but it was necessary to get us to the top. I know he learned a lot and his netting capabilities have come along way since last season. Now it’s time to work on the other issues. Thanks James for a good season. We won TOY as a team and he was an integral part of that.

Not to keep beating this thread to all hell but who actually thanks themselves for keeping their boat running and then again for building their own rods. Are you patting yourself on the back while you type up this rubbish? And nice classy move thanking your partner for improving his netting capabilities.

Unfreakin-believable! :lol:
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

jwhite wrote:Not to keep beating this thread to all hell but who actually thanks themselves for keeping their boat running and then again for building their own rods. Are you patting yourself on the back while you type up this rubbish? And nice classy move thanking your partner for improving his netting capabilities.

It all seems, well, self-serving doesn't it? Not to mention a touch ridiculous since most folks around here know you are referring to yourself Mike. Funny, funny shtuff!
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

jwhite wrote:Not to keep beating this thread to all hell but who actually thanks themselves for keeping their boat running and then again for building their own rods. Are you patting yourself on the back while you type up this rubbish? And nice classy move thanking your partner for improving his netting capabilities.

Seriously... I thought the same thing. Mike = ML-S = self promotion.

Jimmy you are a classy guy but are playing second fiddle to a larger ego here man...
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

:roll:
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

No doubt you guys had a great season. Congrats!

I agree.... if you caught a 3.26 average for 25 fish against the renegade field you would have done very well in that seriies also....... 8)

I also tend to agree that thanking yourself as a sponsor is a bit wacky :lol: