KESAGAMI GREAT FRIDAY. Trip #1. (pics)

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

KESAGAMI GREAT FRIDAY. Trip #1. (pics)

Post by Moosebunk »

People I've been wanting to fish this lake for awhile now being that it's so close to home and IT'S KESAGAMI!!!

Brenda, who hasn't ice fished at all this year and has only made it out twice over the last 4 years with me, needed to come along on this trip. Besides, since her dad died, she doesn't as regularily get a feed of wild game like she used to, nor does she go along for the chase anymore. I don't bring fish home often enough for her liking, and although she'd rather eat pike and trout she still loves her walleye. So to Kesagami we go.

The day before was well above zero and raining off and on. That night high winds brought a cold front of below -20C, things looked potentially bad. When we woke it was still -20C outside with goods winds, but it was supposed to warm quick to -2C by the afternoon.

We headed down to Tozer-ville in Moosonee to catch our flight. Frost build-up on the plane overnight delayed us an hour. Brenda and I helped the pilot de-ice the plane, and by 9AM we were ready for take-off. Brenda's feet in her moccassins were already a little cold :roll: :?

NOTE the frost on the wings, all that had to come off, or we might die when reaching 300-400 feet altitide. Nice of the pilot to take care.

We get off the ground flying over our house in Moose Factory and head S-SE for the next 40 minutes. On route we climb from 30 feet above sea level to over 1000 feet above sea level in just 60 short air miles to Kesagami. I watch as our flat home landscape becomes more rollie-pollie, ans the skeg has ever increasing numbers of ponds and lakes. Winding rivers all over the place I think of brookies, and in the open areas I actually see, very close to Moose Factory, tonnes of caribou tracks; a real welcome promise of future returns.

The pilot on the approach to Kesagami gives me control of the craft. He's a local OPP officer who has of recently has been trying to tempt me to join a new local aviation club and take share in a plane. As I'm flying this touch little aircraft through light turbulence and across the sky I think it'd be great, but I've already got a hobby that racks up some significant bills. :wink: :lol: Maybe in the future :?:

The Approach to Kesagami

Bren and I get on the lake finally and the pilot takes off to pick up another group. Alone we have 4 hours to fish. I start drilling like a mad man, way off a huge point in what's really the main basin of the bay. The auger get's into the ice all the way to the chain case, and then up the water spurts. I drop a quick line on a home-made tip-up gadget thing (tried to upload that pic, no go???) then start drilling another. Within the first 10 minutes, with 2 holes done and lines down, Brenda has already missed 4 fish. I stop what I'm doing and give a little lesson on "setting the hook."

By the time a half hour is up and I finally get 6 holes drilled, Bren's got 6 walleye on the ice. During that time I caught a 23" fat hen that got a prompt return after falling into the snow. It's just WAY TOO MUCH. I'm starting to feel exhausted already, between setting lines, drilling holes, and helping Brenda out during the odd double and even triple header, my brains going berserk.

Bren's catch after about an hour on the ice.

Things slow right down. I tell Brenda could be a pike around. Her tip-ip hits and over she goes playing a small walleye up. As I watch, a rod behind me hit's the ice and the reel starts screaming. I get over to it, pick it up, the old reel's backwards because it's somebody elses rod, the 25 feet of 30lb braid is completely off the spool, now I'm into 8lb limp mono (knew this guys set up was gonna cost me) and after more run, SNAP. I kept 4 rods with 30 lb braid but borrowed 2 that had only 8 lb mono. When he gave me the gear to use I took what little braid I had left at home and put 25' on each reel over the mono. As luck would have it. Ohhh well back to the walleye.

Some of my catch.

Things were quiet after that pike( :?: maybe it was a huge eye) for about 20 minutes. Gave me chance to pound some hot chocolate, brownies, AJ and a sandwich. Bren kept busy checking every line and scooping the holes. I was so happy to get her out and see her having fun. To this point I caught 3 hens over 20" that went back down the holes, a couple under 15" that went back down as well, and had 2 keepers for myself. Brenda had been outfishing me 2 to 1 and had been keeping alot of fish in the 15-19" range.

By 1PM the cold (the warm never did come), the winds, and the sun had me spent. I was ready to pack it in. For just over 3 hours of fishing it was pretty much non-stop action. I had released 8 and caught my perfect 4. I missed about ten that came off in the holes. Brenda exercised her priveleges and kept 11 fish, lost about 10 as well, and released 4 or 5. Any suspected females went back to the swim. With 15 fish for the freezer we headed home.

Absolutely mind blowing walleye fishing. Our day was a reported "average day" by the pilot. 30 fish in 3 hours and around 20 lost, not to mention missed hooksets during already double headers. At home after cleaning the fish it turned out we did keep 3 females accidentally, but heck, they won't get wasted, and the roe will be handy for sturgeon this spring.

Bren with her fish pic didn't turn out so you get me instead :oops: :cry:

Kesagami folks could be worth every penny, but this trip pleasantly was sort-of free for us through work, so I'm heading in tomorrow again but to try for a trophy pike this time.

Easter Sunday Report to follow....

Later
Last edited by Moosebunk on Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

Sounds like a great trip. Nice pics.
Ice sure looks thick.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Hey Moose,

Great trip man!!

Wow, must've been biting like wild :!:
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Great Catch Moose :!: :!: :!: got to love it when a plan comes together, what was the weight :?: look like between 2 and 3 Lbs
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

Nice haul :shock: :shock: . Can't wait to read your report from tomorrow.

Manny
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

Just outa curiosity, where were you guys fishing Moose??
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Nice report Bunk. There's fish in that lake...I tell you.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Awesome Bunk! I see you took RJ's advice with the holes. :lol: I know how tired you must have been with that power auger. :lol:

Loved the report! Good to see ya pounding the walleye. You've been wanting a good fish like this for a while! Nicely done.
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D :D

Well done Bunk, .....some points for the team, .... nice size fish too

and,....except for the cold, ...it looks like alot of fun :wink:
Laker_Taker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Laker_Taker »

Now there's a good day fishing the hard water! Nice eyes, perfect for the pan! Good to hear it lived up to its reputation (Kesagami), I know you've been looking forward to fishing that lake for some time. Too bad you didn't get that gator through the hole, hopefully today. Good for Brenda too, she doesn't come out often but when she does she makes it count. No John? Maybe he's going in with you on Sunday?? Nice haul!
Niagara Nick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Niagara Nick »

Nice pics. Moose . After reading your post and seeing you talk about Caribou tracks , I'm thinking to myself where the heck does this guy live.So I did a quick search and WOW !!! thats a long way up north. And here I was razzing you about having no snow in my backyard, that was mean on my part. :oops:

Look forward to some pics. when the snow melts ,,, or does the snow melt up there :P :P (sorry couldn't resist)
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Nice walleyes! The fishing up there looks SWEET!! Too bad its so far away :( :lol:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice work Bunk!...but I wanna see BIG Pike!....then I'll come up there..... :wink:

RJ
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Atta Boy Moose!!!!!Gotta say if there is one thing we can both do its write a smokin report!!!!

Just awsome hombre!!!!

F.F
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

RJ wrote:Nice work Bunk!...but I wanna see BIG Pike!....then I'll come up there..... :wink:

RJ
Give me a half hour from now, report #2 on the way. PIKE to follow. :wink: