Muskrat Perch Fishing is Sensational!!!!!!!!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Muskrat Perch Fishing is Sensational!!!!!!!!!!

Post by ratsotail »

Here's a fishing report I just have to share since I couldn't coax a few Fish Hawkers to go on short notice Wednesday. I was watching the nasty weather predictions and took a chance at getting out alone to finally search for Perch on Muskrat Lake.

I started around mid lake at first and found myself in Smelt and Laker depths really fast so I elected to get on to a bay that had 10-20 ft. of water for the most part. I drilled about 10 holes with the gas auger and didn't need anymore for the day. Here's a picture of the first two I caught and was feeling pretty good about myself thinking I'd be happy with a dozen of these jumbos.

In 18 ft. of water I got into a bite I haven't experienced all year. Within 1/2 hour I had a pile of respectable Perch and the day was looking quite good.

I moved a bit shallower as the fish got smaller and really got back on to the school of big fish. For the next couple of hours the jumbos kept busting the small jigging rap like there was no tomorrow. The bigger fish seemed to like the jigging rap two to three feet off the bottom and you could see them charge up on the flasher for dinner. After a couple hours I had a pile that was overflowing and life was good again :lol: :lol: .

I kept 44 on the day and threw back dozens of jumbos because I didn't want to clean that many. I think my buddy Slop from the board appreciated when I dropped off some of the nicest Perch he's seen this year on his doorstep. I hope he does the same for me some day :) . So by 1:00 I had caught more fish in four hours than I think I have caught on many weekends. Muskrat didn't disappoint and it leaves me wondering how many more days I'll be able to fish the hard water there. Perch are beautiful fish and what a feast I shared with my family and in-laws tonight!

One disappointment with the Muskrat Perch was the amount of white worms in some of the fish. A few flicks with the knife and they were gone, but you hate to let the wife and kids see what you're doing since they probably wouldn't eat any fish the rest of the year. I was also surprised at how much snow was left on the lake and the height of some of the drifts. Definitely not a place to be traveling off the sparse ice roads in a car with low clearance as I was. Strictly snowmobiles and 4 x 4s.

Get on out there boys and girls before the ice is gone for another year!

Tight Lines,

ratsotail
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Awesome report, great looking perch. Congratulations.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Those are some real nice jumbo perch Ratsotail :lol: And yes this would be a very good meal to :lol: . I hope to get some perch like that this weekend on the St Lawrence river.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Made a couple trips to Muskrat myself this year.

Wasn't up for perch but maybe I should've.. :lol:

Nice haul Ratso :!:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Nice mess o' perch!! I've experienced those "white worms" in Constance Lake perch. Didn't think they'd be in the perch from Muskrat. :? Looks like you had an awesome day!! :D :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
BigSim
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigSim »

MmMmMmm now that looks like a tasty outing.

Nice fish ratsotail
HogHunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HogHunter »

Those are some beauties man, gotta love action like that!
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

I can smell those fish frying in garlic butter from here. Nice catch! :lol:
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Ratso

Sorry bud I had night mares just thinking about all those pre Spawn perch....with all those eggs...god I hope I can sleep tonight :)

How many did you throw away after you cleaned them ...and found them full of worms?????????? you can see the grubs at the base of the tail in your close up...and I'll bet there was a pile in the gill plates also..

You had a great day on ice ...congrats :)
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Aw Phil I know how you need your beauty rest and sorry if you lost some :lol: :lol: .

Yes, you are right...I started seeing signs of the dreaded white worm in the thin skin of the mouth and tail after a few fish. Thankfully, the meat was not as littered with worms as the Constance Lake fish. Most of the worms were at the perimeter of the fillet and could be plucked or sliced off. I did chuck a couple fillets that were not worth the effort. I was surprised to see the Muskrat Perch had worms as the lake is so deep. Question: Did you notice worms in the Silver Lake Perch you caught last year? Just curious if lake depth is a factor at all as a predictor.

As for all the tasty comments from everyone...they were the best fish I've eaten all year and thank you. The breadcrumbs had the right seasoning, the oil was the right temp, and they cooked up nicely.

I wish all lakes with good Perch populations were like Simco though (not a worm to be found)!

ratsotail
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

In the four places that I have fished for Jumbo perch this winter...we have not encountered any White worms at all.. Lake X-1 13.5 " perch...none, Lake-X-2 14" 10" girth (caught by RJ)Destine for the wall, no grubs..shallow lake, Lake-X-3 10"no grubs ,Lower rideau no grubs so this year hardly any grubs at all :)
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

Even 2 years ago when FH did their spring fling at Muskrat the Perch were laiden with the worms.

Tis a strange lake for them.

Nice to see your MUG agian Big O. :twisted:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI RATSOTAIL

THATS a great report.and picture......... :P

look like you gone to have a great super.............

anytime you can pm me for some shore lunch.............. :roll: :lol: ....

i can t wait to go back for some perch..............did not even go

once go for them this winter,,,,,,, :(

take care.....

joco.
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Joco,

I hope your ice season was a good one and sorry we didn't get a chance to hook up more. If I had the technology I'd be happy to PM you a snack :D :D .

Big O,

Can you PM me a decoder ring for some of those Lake Xs :lol: :lol: :lol: ? I hope your icefishing season was equally as good. It would have been nice if you would have posted more pics this year from your adventures! I'm sure they were appreciated by all!

ratsotail
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Must of been nice having non-stop action all day....I still have not found a decent Jumbo producing hole all year....damn buggers kept me on the move all day :x :P

Great pics ratsotail!!

-Andrew