Lower Madawaska Prov. Park

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lower Madawaska Prov. Park

Post by scttsmpsn »

I am thinking about doing a 1 or 2 day kayak trip in 2 weeks with myself or 1 friend. I am looking to fish pickeral, or trout and do some kayak'ing. Little portaging as I have a separated collorbone that it not yet fully healed and don't know about carrying a kayak for many KMs. One option is Algonquin but from what I see there is most canoe trips have portages. Does anyone know of any that don't. I will be 20 mintues from Killaloe so Lower Madawaska is an option but I am unsure how long it is. A good 5-8 hour paddle would be perfect. Anyone been to Lowed Mad? The Bonechere above Round Lake is also an option...

Cheers,

Scott
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

opeongo in algonquin is a perfect kayak lake. big water is no problem for kayaks... and no portages... you can fish for lakers.

it is a *big* lake though to if your collarbone is injured you may get pretty tired.
bananaboat
Participant
Participant

Post by bananaboat »

The Lower Mad is up to class 4 whitewater during spring, early summer with 10 or more portages to avoid rapids -- probably not something you'd want to attempt with an injured wing. There is a route along the York River to Conroy Marsh (above the Lower Mad) described in Kevin Callan's Lost Canoe Routes book that only has one or two portages. Not sure about the fishing quality, but pickeral and pike are found throughout the system.