Mississippi Lake May 16

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Mississippi Lake May 16

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,
Spent the day with my buddy Andy fishing Mississippi Lake. Launched the boat out of 9A at 8:15am, and headed out to fish an 8-14 foot flat. Fished white twistertails, and white and black bucktails. Andy got the first walleye of the day half an hour later, a nice keeper on the twistertail, amongst the weed clumps in 8 feet of water. Got a ton of pike and bass in here also, but no more walleye.
Headed down the lake to fish a deep rock point. I connected with my first walleye, another decent keeper, on a pink and white twistertail in 9 feet of rock-strewn water. Again, a ton of pike and bass.
Located some decent gills along an eastern shoreline, in small isolated schools in three feet of water. Got a half dozen, but the fish were pretty skitterish.
Couldn't find crappies anywhere, but don't really know many of the productive spots on the lake anyways.
Fished until the rain drove us off the lake, around 2pm. Great day overall, although I did expect a few more walleye. Tried trolling for a short while, but nothing doing...
Will be back out again next week..
Good Fishing,
Justin

Andy and his Walleye:

My own walleye:

A couple of the Gills...took the photo before we put the boat on the trailer:

Laurentian
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Laurentian »

I don't know if I can think of place with heftier blue gills and sunfish than Mississippi Lake.

Thanks for that Justin.
Bottoms Up
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bottoms Up »

As always great report Justin !
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Nice walleye Justin :wink:
Dances With Fishes
Participant
Participant

Great report!

Post by Dances With Fishes »

Thanks for the fishing report Justin. That lake is practically in my backyard. Maybe I'll see you guys out on the lake this weekend.
Cheers
DWF
PS. - PM sent :?:
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Nice report Justin,

Looks like you got enough to make a meal with the walleye and bluegills.

Any pike of any size, or just the typical Mississippi hammer handles.

Fox
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hey Fox,

Most of the pike were your typical "Mississippi Hammer Handles," although I did get two fish that may of went closer to 5lbs...
Not sure why that lake never coughs up any brute pike?!!? :?

Good Fishing,
Justin
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Justin,

A pike pushing 4 or 5 pounds would be quite large in the Mississippi from what I have observed and from what Ive heard from various other sources as well. Im not sure why the pike are so stunted in that lake, but man are there ever a pile of them little guys. Many times on that lake I have gotten a bite on a weedline and then get a pile of line back in my face on the hookset. They love the spinnerbaits, plastic worms and senkos those little speeders.

I gotta find a way to get out on the water soon - just thinking about catching little pike on Mississippi has me excited, so that means its been too long. :)

Fox