Best fight, based pound for pound.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Can't speak for the sturgeons or drums...never caught them.

I really admire the headstrong fight of an acrobatic smallmouth. Ya just don't know if you're going to get them in the boat 'til they're in hand. :lol: Pike are just plain crazy to catch and their bullistic battle is always a rush (as is the tiger musky, which in my experience like to leap as well as take you under the boat)!

But...all that being said...I can only imagine the fight a 20" SUNNY would provide. Now THAT would be something! :lol:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

I'm a bit disapointed no one has listed the lake whitefish. Those fish are crazy.
Without a doubt, pound for pound the best fighters in Canada. They can pull hard enough to rip their own mouths off. I've yet to catch a 2lb bass that took almost 6 minutes to pull in.

FromTheNorth
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Looks like the smallie might be in the lead.

Whitefish? I heard they weren't much of a fight, again, another species you wouldn't think fought hard. So many species so little water time. Added to the future species to nail list. Thanks :D
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

ALARM CLOCKS!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Normie! :lol:
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

KPIN, - It's too bad that you havn't felt the power, they've been compared to bonefish! It's raw power and crazy speed. They'll rap themselves around your anchor line in the blink of an eye. I love smallie fishing, but a 2 pound whitefish fights like a 3-4lb smallie... a 5+ pounder fights like a salmon!

Hope everyone can get a chance to catch some. The beauty is that if you can find em, you can catch 30+ of them in a day.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Chinook Salmon in the lake, nothing is comparable.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

One thing to keep in mind is the tackle your using for each species so you have to keep it in perspective.

Sturgeon (only caught/lost them through the ice)
Halibut
Sea run steelhead
Salmon
Carp
Muskie
Smallmouth
Largemouth
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

has any one tried north amarican shad ?? They are a salt water fish that comes up the ottawa to spawn.... Ive had 5lbers peel off 150yards of line in like 30 seconds :shock: The next closest would have to be a fresh steelhead 8)
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

getnjiggywithit wrote:has any one tried north amarican shad ?? They are a salt water fish that comes up the ottawa to spawn.... Ive had 5lbers peel off 150yards of line in like 30 seconds :shock: The next closest would have to be a fresh steelhead 8)
hmmm...
Ive never heard of anything saltwater swimming up the ottawa to spawn (except eels). Where on the ottawa do you go to catch them, and when?
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Just wondering where (for those who have caught them) you would rank GAR in this mix? I would assume they were great fighters based on the way they look, but obviously that doesn't mean a whole lot!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Wolfman The shad can be found in the montreal area and go as far as the carillion power dam! They come in early summer and stay for 3-4 weeks. :)
Wolfe ive caught a few gar no monsters mind you but a few 3-4 footers and I didn't find the fight all that impressive... but they sure do look cool :)
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

wolfe wrote:Just wondering where (for those who have caught them) you would rank GAR in this mix? I would assume they were great fighters based on the way they look, but obviously that doesn't mean a whole lot!

W.
I would say yes.
They tend to make an awsome 30-40 foot run right at the hookset, and leap out of the water alot also.
If the fight doesn't impress you, the teeth will. I have one cut through a steel leader after it was netted and thrashing about. I'd like to see a pike do that :lol: .
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

getnjiggywithit wrote:Wolfman The shad can be found in the montreal area and go as far as the carillion power dam! They come in early summer and stay for 3-4 weeks. :)
thank man.
maybe if i'm out that way in the spring i'll give it a try.
i'm kinda curious what they look like.....it's google time!
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Clap_For_The_Wolfman wrote:
getnjiggywithit wrote:Wolfman The shad can be found in the montreal area and go as far as the carillion power dam! They come in early summer and stay for 3-4 weeks. :)
thank man.
maybe if i'm out that way in the spring i'll give it a try.
i'm kinda curious what they look like.....it's google time!
is this the fish you're talking about?
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

sunfish hands down.... runners up smallies and then catfish...

y drum? there hudge and dont fight at all... rate up with muski for pound4pound the weakest

i cant even imagin a 50 inch sunfish