Best fight, based pound for pound.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

Since I was a kid there was only one fish that was so fascinating to catch. Incredible fighter and I was never able to find in any other species that would fight so hard pound per pound. You don't have to imagine trout that is 50 " long , that can became you reality !!! :wink:

Info taken from couple different web sites

Mladica (Hucho hucho)

Meet the queen. Mladica is the Balkan's biggest salamonid, specimens over 6 feet and 132 pounds (not a typo check
http://www.bajinabasta.com/mladica/graph/mladica1.jpg where caught on river Drina, Bosnia and Herzegovina once, today they range between 35 - 50 pounds.
They are best caught at they spawning time March and April, specimen's under 27.5 in are to be released to spawn since Mladica needs three (males) or four (females) years to reach the maturity and start spawning. Female makes the bed and digs the hole in sandy river bottom around 5 feet wide and 16 in deep, where she spends next couple days laying eggs and males swim around fertilizing them. Hunting for this beauty requires the best materials as well the real knowledge in fight with big fish cause if you think that you caught one when she takes your lure ,think again. Mladica will pick most difficult places to get to. She loves fast moving waters with deep holes where casting is almost impossible.

My personal best fishing for mladica is about 8 lb :lol:
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Wow, that sounds amazing. Just occured to me, one of my fishing dreams....marlin...*drool*
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Channel cats are the strongest fish I've ever fought. Without a doubt.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

After my Sunday fish when we caught a few cats I must agree with BBRich. A very hard fighting fish for sure...and can use the current to thier advantage as well.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Pound for Pound smallies are up there for sure.

Rainbows and Chinooks have their place though...

Nothing like a nook peeling 400 yards of line!
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

a good size arctic char gets the blood running
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,

I love the fight that a big slab gill can put up, especially when fishing with an ultralight combo and light line. Smallies are also right up there, but I can't discount that fight that a big largie can give you. A fish over 5lbs from deep water will really give you a run for you money... :lol:

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

A smallie the same size as a chinook....... :?

Those same lake nooks here, but that run out of the ocean and are caught "fresh in" on some of the big west coast rivers.... Comparable I'm told to catching a fresh GL nook in the Niagara's current.

35 minutes to bring in a 22lb, 44" sturgeon on 20lb braid. A pike or muskie would not compare I would think.

Tough call, some fish have great strength in certain situations too. Bonefish for their size are supposedly a very hearty fish, and lets not forget a tuna. :lol:
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

Swordfish!

in freshwater Small mouth bass
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

best fighter pound for pound??

Post by Big Jim »

Best fighter ever pound for pound...has to be toss up between Chuck Lidell and a bluegill or pumpkinseed...

LARGE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~out'
Brit
Participant
Participant

Post by Brit »

Has to be carp for me...those fish over here...nearly all of them having never been caught before fight like absolute demons.
xRED
Participant
Participant

Post by xRED »

I Grew up in a Port Town on Lake Erie
Pretty much every species except maybe Stergen.
Bass probably pound for pound.
But IMO there is nothin like a 10 plus pound cat.
especially when they see you or get near the shore or boat.

They are great fun.
We caught a bunch this year in the Ottawa two lost a couple big ones and caught sevral 12lbs plus awsome.

Tons of Drum to in Ottawa and in Erie they don't put up much of a fight only initially.

Any fish is fun to catch IMO.

I want to catch a Musky though none of those down home at least I have never seen one so next year I need to catch me one of those I bet they will make short work of a lite spinning reel and 8lb test....lol

just my 2 cents.
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

Justin Hoffman wrote:
"A fish over 5lbs from deep water will really give you a run for you money... "

Justin, were talkin' "Pound for Pound" bro.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

A couple of people mentioning saltwater species got me thinking. I believe the TARPON is considered one of the best fighting gamefish in the world. Anyone have any experience with this amazing fish?

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Dont forget orange and black road barrels. I heard they fight like a huge musky! :lol: :wink:

Seriously, in my experience so far, catfish are the strongest. But I have been told carp are just something else to experience so next year I hope to find out firsthand then maybe my opinion will change. :wink: